What we do
Students First (formerly Student Welfare) provide personalised support to any student who may be having problems with university life, mental or physical health, wellbeing or who needs academic support to make their time here successful. Our department is here to give you as much support as you need to successfully graduate, and the team works closely with all the University departments including Personal Tutors and the Schools of Study. We encourage all students to share with us anything that impacts on their studies so that we can work with them to maximise their ability to successfully complete their degree. See the list of our Students First staff.
We have various clinics and initiatives designed to promote health and wellbeing and we have a university Doctor who holds an on-campus surgery during the week in the Students First Department (appointments have to be arranged via the Swan Practice and you must be registered there).
Please ring, email or drop in to make an appointment. For emergencies please call Security on 07860 834802.
Location: 18 Hunter Street (entrance at the back of building opposite Beloff House)
Opening hours: Monday – Friday (09:00 – 17:00)
Tel: +44 (0)1280 820200 Ext: 2200
Whatever you’re going through, call The Samaritans free any time, from any phone on 116 123. It’s around the clock service, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need a response immediately, it’s best to call them on the phone. This number is FREE to call. You don’t have to be suicidal to call them.
- Sleepio, an online sleep improvement programme
- Healthy Minds, for anyone experiencing difficulties with anxiety, depression and stress
- Live well stay well, helping you in find the lifestyle support service that is right for you
- Terrence Higgins Trust to help you look after your sexual health
- Ask NHS and Campus Doctor to help you register with the doctor and book appointments
Useful telephone numbers
- Doctors (The Swan Practice): 01280 818600
- Emergency (fire, police, ambulance): 999
- NHS non-emergency and out of hours service: 111
- Samaritans: 116 123 (Free)