School of Computing
Welcome to the School of Computing within the University of Buckingham, an institution I hold dear.
You are entering into a close-knit environment where different cultures unite under one roof with the same goal in mind. At Buckingham, we emphasize excellence in teaching and research with our unique small group teaching methods, the personal tutor system, weekly supervision of research students and open door policy.
At Buckingham, we work together as a community of staff and students where your views and opinions are valued. We are delighted that Computing at Buckingham has been ranked 1st in the UK for Student Satisfaction on the Guardian University Guide 2019.
In our school, the academics and the administrators are passionate about delivering a friendly environment and consistently supporting students to achieve their utmost best. Our aspiration is to come together with students and enhance your learning experience through establishing the importance of regular attendance, communication with tutors and administrators as well as timely coursework submission. Our goal is to assist students to achieve their goals beyond a computing degree.
I hope you find the information you require and gain a better understanding of our activities. Should you have any questions, my team and I are always available to speak to you.
Dr Harin Sellahewa
Dean of Computing
In the current competitive IT job market, in-depth knowledge in specialised areas of computing is increasingly in demand. Our taught Undergraduate and Master’s degree programmes are designed to answer this market need. Our aim is to provide teaching, learning, research and scholarship in the fields of computer science and information systems within a friendly and informal environment. Our professional academic staff are academically and practically well experienced in teaching the concepts of the main aspects of computer science. They work very hard to reflect the new technologies and updates across all taught courses.
Why study in the School of Computing?
- Fast track undergraduate education in two years.
- Small study groups and personal attention in a friendly teaching and learning environment.
- Most lectures are assisted with tutorial sessions and practical sessions.
- Most tutorials and/or practical sessions are supervised by your lecturers.
- Learn on the latest state-of-the-art AI, robotics and immersive technology equipment, including a Boston Dynamics “Spot” (a robotic dog) and a Birdly.
- A great chance to select and develop real-life computing / IT projects with our industrial partners.
- A great chance to be involved with front-line research groups with opportunities to continue your study for higher degrees such as MSc and PhD.
- Widening your knowledge scope by attending continuous research seminars.
- Experience and skills with highly desirable software.
- Exposed to different operating systems and hardware.
- Transferable skills in communication and time management.
Our programmes have the following distinctive features:
- Modules based on the state-of-art development of computing technologies
- A substantial individual project
- Individual personal attention from tutors
- Close collaboration with existing research groups
- Opportunities for industrial placement after taught modules
If you want to study one of the programmes, you can apply directly via the ‘Apply Now’ button on the individual course information pages. Our Dean (Dr Harin Sellahewa – see his profile or email him) is always happy to help with any questions you might have.
This degree has been accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT. Accreditation is a mark of assurance that the degree meets the standards set by BCS. An accredited degree entitles you to professional membership of BCS, which is an important part of the criteria for achieving Chartered IT Professional (CITP) status through the Institute. Some employers recruit preferentially from accredited degrees, and an accredited degree is likely to be recognised by other countries that are signatories to international accords.
This degree has been accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council. Accreditation is a mark of assurance that the degree meets the standards set by the Engineering Council in the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC). An accredited degree will provide you with some or all of the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills for eventual registration as an Incorporated (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng). Some employers recruit preferentially from accredited degrees, and an accredited degree is likely to be recognised by other countries that are signatories to international accords.