School of Computing
Welcome to the School of Computing within the University of Buckingham, an institution I hold dear.
You are entering into a close-knit environment where different cultures unite under one roof with the same goal in mind. At Buckingham, we emphasize excellence in teaching and research with our unique small group teaching methods, the personal tutor system, weekly supervision of research students and open door policy.
At Buckingham, we work together as a community of staff and students where your views and opinions are valued. We are delighted that Computing at Buckingham has been ranked 1st in the UK for Student Satisfaction on the National Student Survey 2017.
In our department, the academics and the administrators are passionate about delivering a friendly environment and consistently supporting students to achieve their utmost best. Our aspiration is to come together with students and enhance your learning experience through establishing the importance of regular attendance, communication with tutors and administrators as well as timely coursework submission. Our goal is to assist students to achieve their goals beyond a computing degree.
I hope you find the information you require and gain a better understanding of our activities. Should you have any questions, my team and I are always available to speak to you.
Dr Harin Sellahewa
Head of School of Computing
In the current competitive IT job market, in-depth knowledge in specialised areas of computing is increasingly in demand. Our taught Undergraduate and Master’s degree programmes are designed to answer this market need. Our aim is to provide teaching, learning, research and scholarship in the fields of computer science and information systems within a friendly and informal environment. Our professional academic staff are academically and practically well experienced in teaching the concepts of the main aspects of the computer science. They work very hard to reflect the new technologies and updates across all taught courses.
Why study in the Department of Applied Computing?
- Fast track undergraduate education in two years.
- Small study groups and personal attention in a friendly teaching and learning environment.
- Most lectures are assisted with tutorial sessions and practical session.
- Most tutorials and/or practical sessions are supervised by your lecturers.
- A great chance to select and develop real-life computing / IT projects with our industrial partners.
- A great chance to be involved with front-line research groups with opportunities to continue your study for higher degrees such as MSc and PhD.
- Widening your knowledge scope by attending continuous research seminars.
- Experience and skills with highly desirable software.
- Exposed to different operating systems and hardware.
- Transferable skills in communication and time management.
Our programmes have the following distinctive features:
- Modules based on the state-of-art development of computing technologies
- A substantial individual project
- Individual personal attention from tutors
- Close collaboration with existing research groups
- Opportunities for industrial placement after taught modules
If you want to study one of the programmes, you can apply directly via the ‘Apply Now’ button on the individual course information pages. Our Admissions Tutor (Dr Harin Sellahewa – see his profile or email him) is always happy to help with any questions you might have.
There are no upcoming events at this time.