Two students sat on a bench at The University of Buckingham

After you arrive

Once you have registered at Buckingham and attended your department induction, it’s time to start settling in!

  1. Getting started with IT
  2. Freshers Events
  3. Set up a bank account
  4. Register at the doctors
  5. Register to vote
  6. Start your studies
  7. Feeling homesick or lonely?

1. Getting started with IT

As a member of the University, you have your own personal account. This account gives you access to the WiFi, your University emails, the online library resources and your online learning environment (the space where you can access resources and submit assignments). You can find out everything you need to know about logging in to your account, as well as other useful IT information, from IT Services.

2. Freshers Events

Check out our events 

The Students’ Union is the place to go to find a whole host of events, societies and Students’ Union parties. From our regular events to our Freshers’ activities, you’ll be spoiled for choice.

The student executive will be on hand during registration to answer any questions you have about getting involved in student activities and the Freshers’ Fair showcases the variety of societies on campus. Check the Students’ Union website for updates.

Follow our social media channels (@UniofBuckingham on InstagramFacebook and Twitter) to see the latest student news and event

The Film Place

If you enjoy watching the latest films on ‘the big screen’, make sure you check out The Film Place, Buckingham’s local cinema experience. It provides you with not only a cinematic screening of some of the latest films but also a great social place to meet.


Interested in getting involved in a University sports team?

Our Sport and Fitness programme offers you the chance to compete or just have fun with friends, as well as the opportunity to compete in varsity championships.

The Health & Fitness Centre located on the top floor of the Tanlaw Mill (Students’ Union building) has an extensive range of cardiovascular and resistance equipment and is open from 06:00 to 23:00, 7 days a week. Membership is available from the Students’ Union.

Visit the Sports Clubs page on the Students’ Union website for all the latest information.

3. Set up a bank account

Buckingham does not have any bank branches located in the town centre however it has a Banking Hub located at 19 Market Square, Buckingham MK18 1NW.

The hub provides access to banking services from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Community Bankers from a number of banks/ building societies work in rotation on each day of the week. Find full details of the hub.

A wide choice of banks can also be found in Milton Keynes and Oxford.

Information for international students

British banks have special procedures for international students, details of which can be found at the UKCISA website.

Banks are required by law to see identification and proof of registration on your course which can be obtained from the University Registry Office ( For example, NatWest has confirmed their procedure as follows. You will need to show them:

  1. A letter from the University confirming:
    • Your UK address, whether in a hall of residence or privately arranged
    • Your course title
    • The duration of your course
    • Your date of birth
  2. Your passport. If you require a visa to live in the UK, its validity should end no earlier than the end date of your course.

Other banks have generally similar procedures, sometimes also wishing to record your permanent address overseas, which isn’t usually a problem. However, students should be aware that some banks also require the University to confirm that it has corresponded with that address, which can be a problem if the application was made from elsewhere.

The bank will usually open an account that will allow you to make payments by electronic transfer, standing order or cash withdrawal. But they will not generally provide a chequebook or overdraft facility. Some banks also offer debit cards such as Solo, which are a convenient method of paying university fees (generally free of bank charges).

Check out this independent Guide to international student bank accounts in the UK.

4. Register with the doctor

All full-time students are required to register with a local doctor. If you are an EU or International student, please read our guidance on Health and Medical Care in the UK.

Buckingham Campus

The University medical advisors are The Swan Practice, in Buckingham. The Swan Practice hold daily appointments in Wellbeing, Skills and Diversity during term time. Students can register with The Swan Practice online by visiting the Campus Doctor website.

To correctly complete the Campus Doctor registration form (Buckingham students only):

  1. Complete all fields marked with a red asterisk *​.  Do not input your student I.D. number.
  2. If you live in campus accommodation you should use, The University of Buckingham, Buckingham MK18 1EG as your address. If you live in private accommodation give your full postal address including postcode.
  3. If you do not yet have a UK mobile phone number. make sure that you inform Swan Practice (01280 818600) as soon as you do have a contact telephone number.

Crewe Campus

Crewe based students can register with the local Hungerford Medical Centre.

Translated health information

A series of resources addressing common questions including how to register with a GP, COVID-19 and the vaccine as well as keeping young people healthy.

Translated health information – Doctors of the World

5. Register to vote

If you are eligible, it is a legal requirement to register to vote regardless of whether you intend to vote or not.

Buckingham Campus

To be able to vote when you live at Buckingham you will need to register with Aylesbury Vale District Council. Once you have registered you will be added to the register of electors. The quickest and easiest way is to register to vote online.

Crewe Campus 

The quickest and easiest way is to register to vote online.

6. Start your studies

You will receive your timetable and reading lists at your school induction; some schools are able to provide these earlier. If so, the timetable will be sent to you by email.

You can also find course information including module listings on the course pages.

7. Feeling homesick or lonely?

Moving away from home is an exciting, but sometimes challenging time. If you’re struggling to settle in, don’t worry, we are here to help you.

When you register, you will be assigned a personal tutor for the duration of your studies.

If you have a problem, share them with your Personal Tutor who will do their best to support you. You can find their contact details in the Staff Directory.

Alternatively, contact the Wellbeing, Skills and Diversity department and ask for an appointment to see a Welfare Adviser.

Previous: When you arrive