Drugs and Alcohol
Like every other university, we are reflective of society – and, with that in mind, difficult ‘life challenges’ may arise from time to time.
Wellbeing, Drugs and Alcohol Adviser
The role of Wellbeing, Drugs and Alcohol Adviser is new to The University of Buckingham. The purpose of the role is to:
- Listen – Be open and honest with the situation that is causing concern.
- Support – Manage and balance their worry with study and enabling them to focus on their university degree. Reaching out to other specialist team members, if necessary.
- Educate – To guide and develop their knowledge – encourage healthy choices
- Move on – Build resilience from their experiences and prepare them for tackling future ‘life challenges’
What support can the Wellbeing, Drugs and Alcohol Adviser offer?
Triage appointments ascertain ‘where the student is at’, how they are currently dealing with the situation, guidance and direction.
The student may be referred to other services within the Wellbeing, Skills & Diversity Team:
- Student Advisers
- Dyslexia Support
- Inclusivity Advice
- Mentoring Services
- ASK (Academic Skills Knowhow)
1-2-1 support sessions
To keep the student focused on strategies to work through their dilemmas (relationships/money/family issues). This will continue until the concern is dealt with and the student feels confident enough to continue on their own.
Bitesize drug and alcohol workshops (approx. 30mins)
These are online and voluntary to attend. The sessions would suit those who have no knowledge of the subject to those who use and possibly have questions they need answering or looking for support. A very basic and informal look at what they are, risks and consequences, how to stay safe, short/long term affects. Open discussions at these workshops are welcome.
For those who are encountering difficulties with their studies/personal life resulting from drugs and alcohol and would like to talk things over or take steps to manage their use. Referrals to an outside agency are also an option, if necessary.