The Library aims to provide all the printed materials required for undergraduate teaching. For special projects and postgraduate research, books which are not in the Library may be borrowed via the inter-library loan service. It is also possible to obtain copies of documents such as journal articles. Where possible, requested journal articles are supplied as encrypted pdfs in emails sent direct to the requester’s University email address. The articles should be downloaded and printed as soon as possible on receipt because there are time limits on access.
How to use the inter-library loan service
- Inter-library loan request forms are available from the library service desks and can also be found on the Intranet.
- Please check the library’s own catalogue and electronic resources before submitting an inter-library loan request.
- Students who make use of this service are asked to have request forms countersigned by their supervisor before submitting them to the library.
- Students are limited to 30 satisfied requests per year.
- Staff and research students can place requests directly on eLibrary:
Placing requests via eLibrary
(For staff and research students only)
- Select My Account
- Select Staff InterLibrary Loan Request
- Select Staff Book ILL or Staff Journal ILL, as appropriate, and enter the relevant details. Note: when requesting copies of journal articles or chapters from books a signature is required for copyright purposes.
- At the bottom of the screen enter your User ID number then click Send.
Users can check the progress of their requests by entering their ID and PIN then selecting My Account > Review My Account.
Number of inter-library loans
The number of ILLs that may be borrowed at any one time are:
- Staff / research students: 10 items
- Postgraduate students: 5 items
- Undergraduate students: 5 items
- Items from British Library: 3 weeks (3 week automatic extension, subject to immediate recall).
- Items from other libraries: loan period varies according to lending library’s rules and regulations.
Fines will be charged for students at the rate of £2.00 per item per day overdue.
Fines from the lending library will be passed on to the borrower.
For further information, contact Jackie Harris at the Hunter Street Library desk, or telephone +44 (0)1280 820203, Monday to Friday, 09:00-17:00.