Accommodation FAQs: Arriving at University

Can I pay in advance for the whole year for my accommodation?

Yes, there is the option for this on the application portal once you go through the process of accepting your room offer.

What do I do about accommodation if I am arriving late?

Please let us know if you are going to be arriving late by emailing so we can give you further instructions about your arrival.

When will I get my keys and be able to move in?

When you arrive on Registration day, you will meet the Accommodation team and will receive your keys then. There will be staff available to show you to your room and assist with luggage.

Please note it is not possible to receive your keys before registration. If you plan to travel to Buckingham before registration day, you will need to make your own accommodation arrangements for any days leading up to registration.

What is provided in my room?

As a general guide, rooms are furnished with a desk, chair and desk light. A bed, wardrobe set of drawers and / or shelves make up the remainder of the furnishings.

What should I bring to University?

You will need to bring:

  • Bedding: duvet, pillows, sheets, duvet covers and pillowcases.  Please remember to check the size of bed in your room before purchasing bedding.
  • Cooking, eating and drinking utensils
  • Towels and toiletries

Please do not bring large appliances to University. Essential kitchen items are provided within your student accommodation at Buckingham and these have been electrically tested for safety. Items brought to University that are not safe, or do not comply with UK / University regulations will be confiscated.

Please also note that student chairs not provided by the University are not allowed.  For a comprehensive list of items not allowed please refer to the Prohibited and Confiscation List.

Why are some items prohibited?

In order to ensure your time in student accommodation at Buckingham is not only comfortable and enjoyable, safety is very important. Some items are permitted but must be kept in the kitchen others are not permitted at all. Please refer to the Prohibited and Confiscation List for further information.

Is my property insured while I am at University?

Yes, items are insured, as long as you keep within the terms of ensuring you keep your windows and doors locked when you leave your room. Try not to bring high-value items to University. If you do bring them, you may need to top your insurance up to a higher value.

Can I bring my car to campus?

Yes, you can access the campus car parks by using your student ID Card (Ucard) once you have registered for your course.

Do I need to apply for a permit to bring my car to University?

A permit is not required. Please note that parking is limited and most places are within walking distance. If you are bringing a bicycle to University it must be kept outside of residences and not stored in rooms or hallways.

Is there a launderette on the Campus?

Yes, the launderette for Hunter Street is located in Hailsham House and the launderette for Verney Park is located in the Franciscan Building. You will be given a laundry card when you collect your keys. There are washing machines in the Moreton Road properties.

What are the cleaning arrangements?

Kitchens, bathrooms, showers, toilets and all communal areas, within the student accommodation at Buckingham, are cleaned by the Housekeeping staff, Monday to Friday with the exception of Bank Holidays. You can contact them on for spare vacuum bags / shower curtains / any other queries. You are responsible for cleaning your own room and tidying up after yourself in all communal areas.

Can I have a television in my room?

Yes, as long as you purchase a TV license; these are available to buy online. Please bear in mind when bringing a TV, the size of the television versus the size of your room!

Can I stay on campus for my second year?

This depends on availability at the time. Prior to your course ending, you will receive a letter giving you information whether we can, and how to, extend your license for a further period. Please note that extending licenses are dealt with on a first come first served basis. All letters are hand-delivered on the same day at a given time to ensure this is fair to all students.

Can I bring a pet to University?

No. Pets are not allowed on campus.

Is there a discount for early payment for accommodation?

Unfortunately no we do not offer a discount for early payment.

Am I allowed to smoke?

Smoking in public areas has been illegal since 1 July 2007 in the UK. Smoking is strictly forbidden in student residences. Smoking, or vaping, of legal substances only, is permitted outside. Some smoking shelters are provided and we ask that you do not smoke close to buildings where smoke may travel into an open doorway or window.

Can I cancel my accommodation early and receive a refund?

We do not have an opt-out clause, except for serious extenuating circumstances. Once you have signed your accommodation license, you are liable for the accommodation fees as stated on your license.

What happens if I get lost?

There will always be someone at hand to help you. Staff and students can point you in the right direction while you get your bearings. Maps are provided and the Security team situated in the Porters Lodge are available day and night.

What happens if I lose my keys?

We can provide you with another set. You will be given 7 days grace period to find the original set. If you cannot find them, we will charge the new set to your account. If you lose your keys outside office hours please contact Security.

Why has my heating switched off?

The University of Buckingham has an Environmental policy; heating in the residences is on between the hours of 07:30 and 00:00. The University also operates a summer switch-off between 1 May and 1 September. Wearing appropriate clothing for the time of year will help to keep you warm. If you feel cold during the night, an extra duvet or blanket on your bed will help. Please note that fan heaters and electric blankets are not allowed under any circumstances.

What should I do if something is broken or not working in my room?

On arrival, you will be given an inventory to complete in order to record the condition of items in your room. You will also be given a link to report any faults or issues to the maintenance team. We appreciate that accidents happen so it is better to report these swiftly to prevent further damage to items/residences. Wilful damage to items will be charged to your personal account.

Why is so much importance put on the return of my inventory?

This is for your protection against damage charges when you leave. If the inventory is not completed and returned, or the information is incorrect, you may be charged for damage that was not your fault. Completed inventories help us to make a fair and considered decision when releasing your bond at the end of your stay.

Can I find out who I will be sharing with?

Because of data protection we are unable to provide this information. Once you arrive, a house meeting will be arranged by the Residential Assistant and this will give you the opportunity to meet fellow house-mates.

Apply now for accommodation

Can I bring my bicycle to University, and where can I store it?

Yes you can bring your bicycle. Buckingham and the surrounding area is ideally suited to travelling by bike. Your bicycle can be stored in cycle racks on Hunter St opposite the Porters Lodge or in the quadrangle of the Verney Park Accommodation.