Find out what it is really like to be a student at the University of Buckingham here.
Advice on Housing Agreements
There are many different types of housing agreements, but the most usual is a written shorthold tenancy for at least 6 months. Whatever agreement you are offered, make sure that you know what you are committing yourself to before signing any contract. Do not be rushed into signing or handing over money if there is anything you are concerned about or do not understand.
Remember, you are entirely responsible for any signed agreement with the landlord / landlady.
- Look carefully at the terms and length of the lease.
- Check whether gas appliances have been certified as safe in the last year. Have a look at Carbon monoxide kills to find out more.
- Find out who is responsible for paying expenses like gas, electricity and water bills.
- What is the rent during vacation periods?
- An accurate written inventory of all the contents, together with a note of any wear and tear must be agreed, otherwise there may be difficulties with the return of deposits.
- Remember, at the end of the lease, the premises should be clean and tidy since the cost of contract cleaners can easily wipe out the deposit.
- Always ask for a written copy of the lease.