Professor John Hatchard is a Barrister and Emeritus Professor at The University of Buckingham. He is also a Visiting Professor at the UN International Anti-Corruption Academy in Vienna.
He has held senior academic positions at universities in the UK, United States, Zambia and Zimbabwe. He has also served as the Chief Mutual Legal Assistance Officer at the Commonwealth Secretariat. He was also a Senior Fellow at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law and the Director of the University of Detroit-Mercy London Law Program. For many years he was Secretary-General of the Commonwealth Legal Education Association (CLEA) and now serves as a CLEA Vice-President.
He has published well over 100 books and articles in the areas of corruption and money laundering, criminal law, criminal justice and evidence, constitutional law, good governance and human rights, with particular reference to the Commonwealth and Anglophone Africa. He has undertaken consultancy work for a wide range of international organisations, particularly in the field of good governance, combating corruption and money laundering and human rights.
He is the author of, amongst other books,
Combating Money Laundering in Africa: Dealing with PEPs
(Edward Elgar Publishing, 2020)
ISBN 978 1 78990 529 8 (cased) ISBN 978 1 78990 530 4 (eBook)
Combating Corruption: Legal Approaches to Supporting Good Governance and Integrity in Africa (Edward Elgar, 2014)
and a co-author of Corruption and Misuse Public Office (Oxford University Press, 1st ed 2005, 2nd ed 2011, 3rd ed 2017).
- John Hatchard et al., Corruption and Misuse of Public Office
- John Hatchard, “Combating corruption: some reflections on the use of the offence and the tort of misconduct/misfeasance in a public office”
- John Hatchard, “Election petitions and the standard of proof”, Denning Law Journal 27 (2015), 291-302
- John Hatchard, “Combating the bribery of foreign public officials and the ‘art of persuasion”: The case of Alstom and the energy sector”, Denning Law Journal 28 (2016), 109-137
- Combating Corruption: Legal Approaches to Supporting Good Governance and Integrity in Africa (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2014)