Dr Julian Richards obtained a PhD in political violence in Pakistan in Cambridge University in 1992. He then entered the UK Ministry of Defence, where he worked for a number of years on defence and security policy, returning to academic life as a Research Fellow with Brunel University’s Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies in 2006. In 2008, he jointly founded the new Centre for Security and Intelligence Studies (BUCSIS) at the University of Buckingham, and joined the Global Affairs teaching staff two years later. Dr Richards is also an Associate of the Pakistan Security Research Unit (PSRU) at Bradford University, and an active member of the European Ideas Network (EIN), with whom he has published a number of articles and delivered addresses at various conferences and events.
Dr Richards has published two books with Oxford University Press: The Art and Science of Intelligence Analysis (2010) and A Guide to National Security: Threats, Responses and Strategies (2012). In addition, he has published a number of articles and papers on intelligence issues, the security situation in the Afghanistan / Pakistan region, and international terrorism and counter-terrorism policy in the UK and Europe. Dr Richards continues to be active in European affairs, contributing regularly to EIN events, and sitting on the panel of the Global Security Challenges competition in Brussels in 2009. His current research interests focus on the security situation in Pakistan; counter-terrorism policy in the UK and Europe; processes of extremism and radicalisation among Western youth; and the security implications of contemporary globalisation.
- Julian Richards, “Intelligence dilemma? Contemporary counter-terrorism in a liberal democracy”
- Julian Richards, A Guide to National Security: Threats, Responses and Strategies
- Julian Richards, “Globalization and the rise of Far Right militancy in Europe: a UK perspective”
- Anthony Glees & Julian Richards, “International terrorism: the neglected domestic dimension”
- Anthony Glees & Julian Richards, Freelancing and National Security
- Anthony Glees & Julian Richards, "International terrorism: the neglected domestic dimension"
- The Art and Science of Intelligence Analysis (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010)