This part-time, Master’s level programme is designed for healthcare professionals involved in medical education and training. There are growing expectations that those with educational roles and responsibilities should engage in professional development activity to enable them to model and uphold the highest standards.
This programme provides a sound foundation for allied health professionals who support undergraduate medical students and/or postgraduate trainees’ learning in Higher and Professional Education settings, including the clinical workplace.
The programme has been designed in collaboration with clinicians and other healthcare professionals. As a result, the structure of the programme allows students flexibility over module choice, minimising the potential for service disruption and allowing students to develop areas of expertise relevant to their role responsibilities.
One of our students says: “I have to admit, being part of a virtual course – I was a little sceptical at the beginning. However, the way the PGCME course has adapted to being completely remote is faultless! The timely activities, regular updates, immediate and thorough feedback and availability of all staff members have been incredible.
The weekly lectures are all to a high quality and I feel as though I am provided with all of the tools and support I need to learn effectively and succeed in this course!”
This programme aims to produce graduates who:
- create welcoming, safe and purposeful learning environments
- design and deliver engaging and effective teaching, learning and assessment activities
- have purposeful, developmental conversations with learners that support their personal and professional career development
- have a sound grasp of key educational theories and concepts, drawing on these to develop and critique their own and others’ educational practice
- adopt a critically reflective and reflexive approach to medical education and training
- Medical Education: Principles and Practice
- Approaches to Clinical Teaching and Effective Supervision; or
- Learning in Clinical Teams: Simulation and Work-based Learning