In the news – November 20161 November 2016
Dr Julian Richards appeared on BBC Three Counties and LBC Radio commenting on various issues to do with terrorism and counter-terrorism policy here and in Iraq. Dr Richards was also interviewed by France 24 and BBC Radio Berkshire, commenting on cyber warfare. He appeared on the France24 news channel on 7 November, commenting on military operations in Raqqa and Mosul. He also appeared on the Islam Channel commenting on the new Investigatory Powers Bill and on BBC Three Counties Radio discussing the Government’s Prevent strategy.
Professor Glees was interviewed:
- on BBC Radio London’s Vanessa Feltz Show about whether or not Brexit Britain should be regarded as ‘booming’.
- about Facebook and the use made of data on Sky TV Debate.
- about the High Court ruling on Article 50 and our current constitutional crisis on German national radio: http://www.deutschlandfunk.de/nach-high-court-urteil-zum-brexit-wir-haben-jetzt-ein.694.de.html?dram:article_id=370397.
- about Brexit by German national radio: http://www.deutschlandfunk.de/grossbritannien-brexit-zeitpunkt-ungewiss.1818.de.html?dram:article_id=370504.
- about the impact of the fall in the value of sterling on BBC Oxford.
- the public unmasking of Sir Anthony Blunt on BBC Five Live’s I Was There series with Michael White (The Guardian) and presented by Adrian Chiles: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kfzn3/broadcasts/2016/11.
- the leaked Brexit memo saying we needed 30,000 extra civil servants to deliver it (the EU has 24,000 civil servants) on BBC Three Counties.
- new Border Force security arrangements in the English Channel on BBC Radio Essex.
- the Majiid Nawaz Programme about the Regulation of Interception of Communications Bill that has had its third reading in Parliament on LBC.
- about the Prevent policy and the letter from Luton Mosques to Luton Borough Council demanding its total abolition on BBC Three Counties.
- the assassination of Jo Cox MP by a Nazi terrorist, arguing that MI5 needed to sharpen up in the fight against Nazism in the UK on BBC Radio London Lisa Aziz Show.
- the new Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act on Sky TV with Silkie Carlo of Liberty.
- a possible terrorism matter (an Essex hairdressing salon called ‘Isis’ was getting death threats allegedly from IS supporters) on BBC Radio Essex.
- Germany’s role in the post-Brexit environment on German InfoRadio in Berlin.
- Professor Glees was the ‘studio guest’ on BBC 3 Counties’ discussion on Donald J. Trump’s election victory and was also interviewed on LBC’s Clive Bull Show about President-elect Trump’s foreign and security policies.
- He was invited to speak on security in the post-Brexit environment at the Oxford German Forum, meeting this year at Trinity College. Fellow speakers were the former Federal Minister of the Environment, Dr Norbert Roettgen, now Chair of the Bundestag Foreign Affairs Committee, Dr Guenter Krings, secretary of state in the Federal Ministry of the Interior and Dr Jeffrey Gedmin of the Atlantic Council in Washington DC.
- He was the guest of the 6th Form Club at Stowe School where he spoke about the UK intelligence services.