Professor Kardos graduated with a distinction in 1988 from Albert Szent-Györgyi Medical School Szeged, Hungary. During his time as a junior doctor at Szeged University he spent almost two years at the Heart Centre in Bad Krozingen as a research fellow. He was later awarded a Research Fellowship of the European Society of Cardiology. This and the subsequent Norman Collisson Fellowship allowed Dr. Kardos to spend almost five years as a post-doc fellow at the University Department of Cardiovascular Medicine in Oxford.
With the support of leading healthcare professionals in cardiology, Dr. Kardos broadened his knowledge in the autonomic regulation of the cardiovascular system; familiarising himself with exercise physiology in this environment. He also spent some time working as a University lecturer at the Department of Cardiovascular Medicine University Oxford. During and subsequent to his research years Professor Kardos published and contributed to ninety-three peer-reviewed papers. He has also been invited to numerous and gave lectures over 140 national and international conferences, at many of which he has been as keynote speaker.
After his cardiology training in Szeged and Oxford (John Radcliffe Hospital), Dr Kardos was appointed Consultant Cardiologist in 2003 at Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. He currently consults at MKUH as well as holding the role of clinical lead in multimodality cardiac imaging. In addition to this post he has an Honorary Consultant appointment at the Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust, and a title of Honorary Senior Lecturer to the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine at Nuffield Department of Medicine, University of Oxford. For his academic achievement he has been awarded a personal Chair in Cardiovascular Medicine at The University of Buckingham in March 2018.
Over and above his consultancy work Professor Kardos is a member of the Scientific Committee of the XVIIIth – XXIth Congresses of the European Society of Cardiology and is a scientific reviewer for Heart, American Journal of Cardiology; Catheterisation and Cardiovascular Intervention; Journal of Cardiovascular Risk and Cardiovascular Endocrinology & Metabolism. He sits on the Editorial board of 6 Peer reviewed Journals and on Scientific Committees of International Conferences.
He is Vice Chair of Research and Development, Milton Keynes University Hospital.
Fellow & Member of over 10 National and International Professional Societies including: Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London), UK (RCP), Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC). Member of`; British Cardiovascular Society, American College of Cardiology, American Heart Association, British Society of Echocardiography, European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging, American Society of Echocardiography, Society of Cardiovascular CT.
We are honoured that the Cardiology/Cardiovascular Research Group has officially been endorsed by The University of Buckingham as a Translational Cardiovascular Research Group at Milton Keynes University Hospital in June 2021. For more information please visit the TCRG website.
Outside of work commitments he takes a keen interest in technology, travel, sports and spending time at home with his family and dog.
- Clinical epidemiology
- Clinical Trials on the field of heart failure, angina, heart attack, valve disease
- Cardiovascular imaging including advanced echocardiography, cardiac CT, CMR
- Cardiac –Oncology
- Various biomarkers in cardiovascular disease
- Exercise Physiology
- Exploration of digital health
- Utilisation of artificial intelligence in cardiovascular diagnostics
- Professor Kardos has been chief investigator in a number of commercial and non-commercial multicentre clinical trials
- Attila Kardos, Dan Rusinaru, Sylvestre Mar ́echaux, Ebraham Alskaf, Bernard Prendergast, Christophe Tribouilloy. Implementation of a CT-derived correction factor to refine the measurement of aortic valve area and stroke volume using Doppler echocardiography improves grading of severity and prediction of prognosis in patients with severe aortic stenosis. International Journal of Cardiology 363 (2022) 129–137 – View publication.
- Mohammed N.Meah, Evangelos Tzolos, Kang-Ling Wang, Anda Bularga, Marc R.Dweck, Nick Curzen, Attila Kardos, Liza Keating, Robert F.Storey, Nicholas L.Mill, Piotr J.Slomka, Damini Dey, David E.Newby, Alasdair Gray, Michelle C.Williams, Car lRoobottom,. Plaque Burden and 1-Year Outcomes in Acute Chest Pain: Results From the Multicenter RAPID-CTCA Trial. JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging. 2022. July. View publication.
- Kang-Ling Wang, Carl Roobottom, Jason E. Smith, Steve Goodacre, Katherine Oatey, Rachel O’Brien, Robert F. Storey, Nick Curzen, Liza Keating, Attila Kardos, Dirk Felmeden, Praveen Thokala, Nicholas L. Mills, David E. Newby and Alasdair J. Gray on behalf of the RAPID-CTCA Investigators. Presentation cardiac troponin and early computed tomography coronary angiography in patients with suspected acute coronary syndrome: a pre-specified secondary analysis of the RAPID-CTCA trial. European Heart Journal- Acute Cardiovascular Care (2022) 00, 1–10. View publication.
- A J Gray, C Roobottom, J E Smith, S Goodacre, K Oatey, R O’Brien, R F Storey, N Curzen, L Keating, A Kardos, D Felmeden, R J Lee, P Thokala, S C Lewis, D E Newby, on behalf of the RAPID-CTCA Investigators. Early computed tomography coronary angiography in patients with suspected acute coronary syndrome: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2021;374:n2106 | doi: 10.1136/bmj.n2106
- Attila Kardos, Ramona Schaupp, Lillian Kettner, Harald Becher. “How to do” – Digital-interactive-interpretation course for stress echocardiography. Eur Heart J Digit Health, Volume 2, Issue 1, March 2021, Pages 179–183, View publication.
- Bennasar M, Banks D, Price BA, Kardos A. Minimal Patients’ Clinical Variables to Accurately Predict Stress Echocardiography Outcome: Validation Study Using Machine Learning Techniques. JMIR Cardio 2020; 29.05.20 in Vol 4, No 1 (2020): Jan-Dec, doi: 10.2196/16975.
- I. Akoumianakis, I. Badi, G. Douglas, S. Chuaiphichai, L. Herdman, N. Akawi, M. Margaritis, A. S. Antonopoulos, E. K. Oikonomou, C. Psarros, N. Galiatsatos, D. Tousoulis, A. Kardos, R. Sayeed, G. Krasopoulos, M. Petrou, U. Schwahn, P. Wohlfart, N. Tennagels, K. M. Channon, C. Antoniades, Insulin-induced vascular redox dysregulation in human atherosclerosis is ameliorated by dipeptidyl peptidase 4 inhibition. Sci. Transl. Med. 12, eaav8824 (2020).
- Alexios S. Antonopoulos, Attila Kardos, Charalambos Antoniades. Reply: Vein graft biology and the risk of graft occlusion. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. May 2020. View publication.
- Alskaf E, Gupta T, Kardos A. Aortic valve area using computed tomography-derived correction factor to improve the validity of left ventricular outflow tract measurements. Echocardiography. 2020;37:196–206. View publication.
- Van Velthoven MH, Adjei F, Vavoulis D, Wells G, Brindley D, Kardos A. ChroniSense National Early Warning Score Study (CHESS): a wearable wrist device to measure vital signs in hospitalised patients-protocol and study design. BMJ Open. 2019 Sep 20;9(9):e028219. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-028219.
- Francisco Fuentes I-IICC, Blazing MA, Giugliano RP, McCagg A, White JA, Theroux P, Darius H, Lewis BS, Ophuis TO, Jukema JW, De Ferrari GM, Ruzyllo W, De Lucca P, Im K, Bohula EA, Reist C, Wiviott SD, Tershakovec AM, Musliner TA, Braunwald E, Califf RM; IMPROVE-IT Investigators. . Ezetimibe Added to Statin Therapy after Acute Coronary Syndromes. . N Engl J Med. 2015;372:2387-2397.
- Vanessa M Ferreira SKP, Erica Dall’Armellina, Theodoros D Karamitsos, Jane M Francis, Ntobeko Ntusi, Cameron Holloway, Robin P Choudhury, Attila Kardos, Matthew D Robson, Matthias G Friedrich, Stefan Neubauer. Native T1-mapping detects the location, extent and patterns of acute myocarditis without the need for gadolinium contrast agents. . Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2014;16:36.
- Melo P, Cahill TJ and Kardos A. A hot flush signals the way to a woman’s heart. Int J Cardiol. 2014;171:131-2.
- John J. V. McMurray MP, Akshay S. Desai, Jianjian Gong, Martin P. Lefkowitz, Adel R. Rizkala, Jean L. Rouleau, Victor C. Shi, Scott D. Solomon, Karl Swedberg, Michael R. Zile, et al. The PARADIGM-HF Investigators and Committees. Angiotensin-neprilysin inhibition versus enalapril in heart failure. . New England Journal of Medicine 2014;371:993-1004.
- Ferreira VM, Piechnik SK, Dall’Armellina E, Karamitsos TD, Francis JM, Ntusi N, Holloway C, Choudhury RP, Kardos A, Robson MD, Friedrich MG and Neubauer S. T(1) mapping for the diagnosis of acute myocarditis using CMR: comparison to T2-weighted and late gadolinium enhanced imaging. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013;6:1048-58.
- Zannad F, McMurray JJ, Krum H, van Veldhuisen DJ, Swedberg K, Shi H, Vincent J, Pocock SJ, Pitt B and Group E-HS. Eplerenone in patients with systolic heart failure and mild symptoms. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:11-21.
- Mayosi BM, Kardos A, Davies CH, Gumedze F, Hovnanian A, Burge S and Watkins H. Heterozygous disruption of SERCA2a is not associated with impairment of cardiac performance in humans: implications for SERCA2a as a therapeutic target in heart failure. Heart. 2006;92:105-9.
- Ashley EA, Kardos A, Jack ES, Habenbacher W, Wheeler M, Kim YM, Froning J, Myers J, Whyte G, Froelicher V and Douglas P. Angiotensin-converting enzyme genotype predicts cardiac and autonomic responses to prolonged exercise. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;48:523-31.
- Selvanayagam JB, Petersen SE, Francis JM, Robson MD, Kardos A, Neubauer S and Taggart DP. Effects of off-pump versus on-pump coronary surgery on reversible and irreversible myocardial injury: a randomized trial using cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging and biochemical markers. Circulation. 2004;109:345-50.
- Selvanayagam JB, Kardos A, Nicolson D, Francis J, Petersen SE, Robson M, Banning A and Neubauer S. Anteroseptal or apical myocardial infarction: a controversy addressed using delayed enhancement cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2004;6:653-61.
- Selvanayagam JB, Kardos A, Francis JM, Wiesmann F, Petersen SE, Taggart DP and Neubauer S. Value of delayed-enhancement cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging in predicting myocardial viability after surgical revascularization. Circulation. 2004;110:1535-41.
- Joseph B Selvanayagam Attila Kardos , Jane Francis, Steffen Petersen, Frank Wiesmann, David P Taggart, Stefan Neubauer. Effects of off-pump versus on-pump coronary surgery on early and late postoperative left ventricular function: A randomized trial using cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging. . Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2004;43:5.
- Mayosi BM, Keavney B, Kardos A, Davies CH, Ratcliffe PJ, Farrall M and Watkins H. Electrocardiographic measures of left ventricular hypertrophy show greater heritability than echocardiographic left ventricular mass. Eur Heart J. 2002;23:1963-71.
- Kardos A, Watterich G, de Menezes R, Csanády M, Casadei B and Rudas L. Determinants of spontaneous baroreflex sensitivity in a healthy working population. Hypertension. 2001;37:911-6.
- El-Omar M, Kardos A and Casadei B. Mechanisms of respiratory sinus arrhythmia in patients with mild heart failure. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;280:H125-31.
- Kardos A, Taylor DJ, Thompson C, Styles P, Hands L, Collin J and Casadei B. Sympathetic denervation of the upper limb improves forearm exercise performance and skeletal muscle bioenergetics. Circulation. 2000;101:2716-20.
- Hogan N, Kardos A, Paterson DJ and Casadei B. Effect of exogenous nitric oxide on baroreflex function in humans. Am J Physiol. 1999;277:H221-7.
- Kardos A, Babai L, Rudas L, Gaál T, Horváth T, Tálosi L, Tóth K, Sárváry L and Szász K. Epidemiology of congenital coronary artery anomalies: a coronary arteriography study on a central European population. Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn. 1997;42:270-5.
- Kardos A, Rau H, Greenlee MW, Droste C, Brody S and Roskamm H. Reduced pain during baroreceptor stimulation in patients with symptomatic and silent myocardial ischaemia. Cardiovasc Res. 1994;28:515-8.