Professor Alan Smithers B.Sc., Ph.D., M.Sc., Ph.D., M.Ed., CPsychol.
Alan Smithers is the Director of CEER. He has been previously Sydney Jones Professor of Education at the University of Liverpool (1998-2004), Professor of Policy Research at Brunel University (1996-1998), and Professor of Education at the University of Manchester (1976-1996). He was first a lecturer in biological sciences at London University, from where he was recruited to the emerging field of research in education.
His research has embraced, among other things, pupil and student exam performance; teacher training, recruitment and retention; gender differences in education; different types of school, including independent schools; further, technical and vocational education; and international comparisons. He has so far published over a hundred refereed papers in biology, psychology and education, four books, 81 research reports, as well as preparing 45 confidential briefing reports.
He has served on national committees including the National Curriculum Council, the Beaumont Review of National Vocational Qualifications and the Royal Society Committee on Teacher Supply. From 1997-2015 he was standing adviser to the House of Commons Education Committee. The Centre specializes in issues of current concern and is often called upon for comment by the media.
Professor Smithers’ contact details can be found here.
- Social Disadvantage and Widening Access to Universities. Buckingham: CEER, 2015
- HEFCE’s Blunder. Buckingham: CEER, 2015
- “Education”, in Anthony Seldon and Mike Finn (eds), The Coalition Effect, 2010-15 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015), 257-289
- “The dilemma of selection in schools”, in Anastasia de Waal (ed.), The Ins and Outs of Selective Secondary Schools (London: Civitas, 2015), 194-205
- A-Levels 1951-2014. Buckingham: CEER, 2014
- GCSE Trends 1988-2014. Buckingham: CEER, 2014
- The Good Teacher Training Guide 2013. Buckingham: CEER, 2013
- The Science and Mathematics Teaching Workforce. London: The Royal Society, 2014
- Confusion in the Ranks. London: The Sutton Trust, 2013
- “Making 14-18 education a reality”, in Kenneth Baker (ed.), 14-18 A New Vision for Secondary Education (London: Bloomsbury, 2013), 57-69
- A-Levels 2012. Buckingham: CEER, 2012
- The Good Teacher Training Guide 2012. Buckingham: CEER, 2012
- Educating the Highly Able. London: The Sutton Trust, 2012
- A-Levels 2011. Buckingham: CEER, 2011
- GCSE 2011. Buckingham: CEER, 2011
- The Good Teacher Training Guide 2011. Buckingham: CEER, 2011
- Choice and Selection in School Admissions: the experience of other countries. London: The Sutton Trust, 2010
- The Good Teacher Training Guide 2010. Buckingham: CEER, 2010
- Worlds Apart: social variation among schools. Buckingham: The Sutton Trust, 2010
- Physics Participation and Policies: lessons from abroad. Buckingham: Carmichael Press, 2009
- The Good Teacher Training Guide 2009. Buckingham: CEER, 2009
- Specialist Science Schools. Buckingham: CEER, 2009
- HMC Schools: a quantitative analysis. Buckingham: Carmichael Press, 2008
- Good Teacher Training Guide 2008. Buckingham: CEER 2008
- Physics in Schools: supply and retention of teachers. Buckingham: Carmichael Press, 2008
- The Diploma: a disaster waiting to happen? Buckingham: Carmichael Press, 2008