From 2020, the University has introduced a new Hardship Fund to support current Buckingham students.
Funds will be allocated in special circumstances and via three application windows outlined below:
- 1: end April 2020 – allocate mid-May 2020
- 2: end July 2020 – allocate mid-August 2020
- 3: end October 2020 – allocate mid-November 2020
From 2021 there will be four application windows, equivalent to one each term.
Criteria and Evidence for awards include:
- Emergencies and family/ personal issues affecting studies.
- Issues linked to accommodation deposits/advance payments (but not payment of arrears).
- Evidence that students who are eligible have already accessed the full entitlement of student loans.
- Evidence of household income may be requested e.g. via production of a Student Loans Company letter/ assessment.
- The maximum award will be £500 (unless in special circumstances).
- Criteria will also be linked to ability to succeed in your studies at Buckingham – evidence that a small payment will help retention and success, but not to support payment of tuition fees.
- Emergency cases will allocated at the discretion of the Chair of the Scholarships and Bursaries Group outside of the above times.
- The fund will be focused on UK students but emergency cases from International/ EU students will also be considered.
- The application form includes a brief 400 word max statement, making the case for the award. Additional evidence can be uploaded/ provided and may be requested.
This fund is available to students in the following groups who are experiencing or expect to experience severe financial difficulties during the academic year:
- UK full time undergraduate students who receive fees/ maintenance support from Student Finance.
- UK full time postgraduate students who can show they have made reasonable provision towards their tuition fees and living costs.
- International/EU full time students who are able to demonstrate immediate, emergency need for funds to support their studies at Buckingham will also be eligible to apply.
In order to apply you should:
- be fully registered at the University of Buckingham for the current academic year.
- be classed as a Full Time (FT) student.
- have taken all support available to you via Student Finance England (or equivalent) or Postgraduate Loans from the Student Loans Company (SLC) where applicable.
- have taken all other funding that you may be entitled to, including welfare benefits and tax credits.
- If requested, show that across the academic year, you have/ will have sufficient funds to cover your full tuition fees, plus at least £5,000 towards living costs.
How to apply
- Please check you meet the eligibility criteria above.
- Complete the application form online, with all of the required evidence.
- Students’ First staff will go through your application form and evidence with you if required.
- Please check the application and closing dates.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. You will be asked to resubmit the form once your application/ evidence is complete.
Your application will be considered by the Hardship Committee, comprising the PVC Student Experience, the Head of Students’ First and the Head of the Student and Sport Union.
An appeal against the decision of the Hardship Committee will be considered by the Chair of the Scholarships Committee.