Undergraduate Language Requirements
The IELTS and TOEFL standard of English Language levels listed below are applicable to all undergraduate courses except for Medicine. MB ChB students whose native language is not English must hold IELTS of 7.5 (with a minimum of 7 in every component,) and hold a minimum of a C in GCSE English (or equivalent). Exceptions to the English language requirement can be found on the UKVI website.
Minimum entry requirements for undergraduate entry
|IELTS||Average of 6.5 (with 6.0 or above in each component)
(See also: Approved English language tests which include a list of approved tests and providers.)
|TOEFL* (Internet-based)||87 (minimum component scores of Listening 21, Reading 22, Speaking 23, Writing 21). Accepted for Undergraduate level courses or above.
|TOEFL* (Paper-based)||580 – accepted for Undergraduate level courses or above.|
|Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)||176-184 with a minimum of 175 in each component|
|Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)||59-65 (with 4 minimum component scores of 59)|
* Please use code 8775 when indicating The University of Buckingham as a score recipient. We will then receive your results directly.
The UKVI has clear guidelines and requirements. All applicants must achieve the minimum requirements in all 4 components (listening, reading, speaking and writing). The minimum entry requirement for a degree level course is a Common European Framework grade of B2. IELTS, TOEFL and Pearson equivalents are shown below.
For the full list please visit the UKVI comparison table.
|IELTS||TOEFL (Internet-based)||Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)|
|B2||Overall score 6.0 – 6.5
All 4 components at a minimum of 5.5
|Overall score 87-96
Listening 21 Reading 22 Speaking 23 Writing 21
|Overall score 59–65
All 4 components at a 59 minimum
|C1||Overall score 7.0 – 8.0
All 4 components at a 7.0 minimum
|Overall score 110-120
Listening 26 Reading 28 Speaking 28 Writing 28
|Overall score 76-84
All 4 components at a 76 minimum
|C2||Overall score 8.5 – 9.0
All 4 components at a 8.5 minimum
|Overall score 85-90
All 4 components at a 85 minimum
- International Baccalaureate (IB) English Language score of 4 or above will be accepted.
- Other English language qualifications may be recognised. Please submit full details, including your examination results, with your application.
- Your language certification must be recent: TOEFL and IELTS results are valid for two years.
- All aspects of your academic record, including your English language level, will be taken into account when your application is being considered.
What to do if you don’t meet our English language requirements
We offer English foundation courses which are designed to prepare you for university study. Successful completion of these allows progression to various degrees at the University of Buckingham if the relevant academic requirements have been met.
Please contact our Admissions Office if you need any more information.