Student Visa FAQs

Is The University of Buckingham a Student licence holder?

Yes, The University of Buckingham is a Student (General Student) licence holder.

What is a CAS?

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a ‘virtual’ document which provides a CAS number and a CAS statement. You will only need a CAS if you are planning to apply for a student visa or visa extension under Student category of the Points Based Immigration System. A CAS can only be generated by the University using the Sponsor Management System (SMS) of the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI).

What is a CAS number?

A CAS number is a combination of letters and numbers and has 14 digits, for example, “E08GLO90RT7P2”. Each CAS number is unique for an international student studying at a specific Student sponsor for their chosen course(s) in the UK.

What is a CAS statement?

A CAS statement consists of all the information required by UKVI for generating your CAS. The University of Buckingham will send your CAS number and CAS statement by email only. You will need the information provided on the email to complete your Student (General Student) visa application correctly. Please note it is your responsibility to check your CAS statement to ensure all the information about yourself, your course(s) information, etc. is accurate. You must keep the CAS email securely as it contains your personal data.

Do I need a CAS?

Not all international students need a CAS. This will depend on each student’s personal circumstances, e.g., your study profile, current immigration status, etc. You will only need a CAS if you are applying for your visa or visa extension as a Student General Student. If you are not sure whether you will need a CAS, please contact our International Office.

Can I apply for a Student General Student visa or extension without a CAS?

No. If you want to start or continue your study at The University of Buckingham under Student, you MUST obtain a CAS from us in order to apply for your Student General Student visa.

How can I get a CAS from The University of Buckingham for a new course?

A CAS will be issued once you have accepted an unconditional offer, paid the required fees, bond and supplied a copy of your passport, and once you have provided us with a copy of your Student compliant bank statements. You can apply for your visa within three months prior to Registration.

What does “compliant bank statements” mean?

It refers to the requirements that the bank statements must meet under Student regulations. The bank statements must show enough funds to cover your maintenance funds, which are tuition fees for the first year of your course and the living expense imposed by the Student regulations.

The total amount required has to be in your bank account for a minimum period of 28 days prior to applying for a visa. The amount must be in a personal current or savings account. Please note that accounts in the name of a company or business are not allowed, neither are accounts of investments, such as shares or bonds).

Can I use my parents’ bank account statements?

Yes, but you will also have to provide a birth certificate to prove the relationship between you and the account holder, and a consent letter from the account holder confirming the financial support and that the funds held in the bank account will be available to you while you study in the UK.

What are maintenance funds?

It is the amount of money you need to demonstrate that you possess to cover the tuition fees for the first year of your course and living costs.

How much money is needed for living costs?

If you study outside London you need to show you have £1,023.00 per month up to a maximum of 9 months. So you need at least £9,207.00 in total. If you study in London you need to show you have £1,334.00 per month for up to a maximum of 9 months. So you need at least £12,006 in total. Buckingham is outside London.

The above figures were correct as of 4 June 2021. For the latest figures please go to, Student visa: Money you need – GOV.UK 

What changes in living costs came into place on 12 November 2015?

On 12 November 2015, the “Established Presence” provision was removed, thus students no longer are eligible to demonstrate the lower amount for living expenses and they have to demonstrate the full 9 months’ worth of funds if the course is 9 or more in duration.

The living costs have increased to £1,023 per month, up to 9 months. So students have to demonstrate they possess a total of £9,207 if they study outside London. (The living costs have increased to £1,334 per month up to 9 months, so students will have to demonstrate they possess a total of  £12,006, if they study in London.)

The above figures were correct on 4 June 2021. For the latest figures please go to, Student visa: Money you need – GOV.UK

What are the living expenses requirements for dependants?

The living expenses/costs that each of your dependents are required to demonstrate they have before applying for a visa. For dependents, the amount is £680 per month up to 9 months, a total of £6,120.00, if the student’s studies are outside London. If your studies are based in London, the living costs each of your dependents are required to demonstrate they are in possession of, is £845 per month up to 9 months, a total of £7,605.00. Established presence for dependents was also removed on 12 November 2015.

The above figures were correct as of 4 June 2021. For the latest figures please go to, Student visa: Your partner and children – GOV.UK

Do I need to pay for the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge?

Yes, this is a new mandatory requirement. From 6 April 2015, all students and their dependents applying for a new Student Visa or a Student Visa extension will have to pay an extra £300 per year of studies for healthcare charges. For more information please visit, Pay for UK healthcare – GOV.UK 

Will my CAS be issued on University headed paper?

No. We have been assured by UKVI that it is not necessary for you to receive a hard copy of the CAS notification from the University. The University will issue an email to you as an official notification that a CAS has been assigned to you.

You will have to input the CAS number in the appropriate section of your visa application form.

Will my CAS have information about how much I paid to the University for my tuition fees?

Yes, when the CAS is issued it will be included. If you make further payments after your CAS has been issued your CAS will be updated and you will receive notification (normally by email) to confirm this. If you have any queries you should contact the Admissions Administrator who issued your CAS quoting your application number.

When and how can I apply for my Student visa?

New students can apply for their visa no more than three months before the start of their course. Visa applications can take at least three to four weeks for processing, so allow as long as possible. Continuing students are advised to apply early, usually any time within three months before their current visa expiry date. For more information please read our guide: Applying For A Student Visa Outside The UK.

What documents do I need to provide with my visa application?

You must provide original documents for the qualifications listed on your CAS statement. This includes documents to show that you have the required level of funds in place for a consecutive 28 day period prior to your application, as required by UKVI.

Our Visa checklist page contains all of the information you need.

Will the UKV&I test my English language ability?

The University has a responsibility to check that anyone who is not a national of an English speaking country (from a list provided by UKVI) or who has not recently graduated from an honours degree in one of those countries, meets the minimum English language standard for their course.

For degree courses, the standard is defined by UKVI as at least CEFR Level B2 (normally at least IELTS 5.5 in each element (reading, writing, listening and speaking) or other accepted tests).

The University sets its own English language requirements for each course, which are normally higher than the UKVI standard.

The University cannot admit any student who needs a Student visa who is below the UKVI standard.

The University will record on the CAS the evidence used and if there is a formal English language test stated on your CAS you must include the original certificate and full statement of results with your visa application.

UKVI will not ask you to take another English test. However, if you are interviewed by an Entry Clearance Officer during your visa application or on arrival in the UK they need to know that you can hold a normal conversation with them. If they have concerns about your English skills they have the power to refuse entry to the UK.

What do I need to do if I believe there is a mistake on my CAS statement?

You will receive a pre-CAS email that will ask you to check all of the information which will be contained in your CAS. The Admissions Administrator will not issue your CAS until confirmation is received from you that the information is correct.

What if my passport is renewed before I apply for my visa?

You should send a clear copy of your new passport to the Admissions Administrator who will update the CAS information held by UKVI.

If you are a registered student you should ensure you inform the Visa Office.

Will I receive a new CAS if my original needs to be amended?

No. Any changes made will be notified to the UKVI and you will receive an email informing you of those changes reported to UKVI.

Can my CAS cover the MPhil and PhD stages of my programme?

Yes, if your offer is for ‘PhD’. Students may be registered from the start for the PhD with a progression review after approximately one year. If, however, your offer is for MPhil only or MPhil / PhD, a CAS will be issued for the MPhil (two years) only. A new CAS will be issued if your progression is satisfactory after two years.

What happens if I do not register by the latest start date?

The CAS shows the latest date by when you must formally register for your course. If you do not register by the latest date UKVI is notified, the University may refuse registration if you try to register and/or start later.

It is very important that you inform the Admissions Administrator before the latest start date if you are no longer able to attend the course. It is sometimes possible to defer a CAS, provided we receive sufficient advance notice. This can only happen as a result of a ‘significant change in circumstances’.

I already have a Student visa for The University of Buckingham and I wish to study a new course, can I apply for a visa extension after I start a new course?

If you have successfully completed a programme at our University for which you currently have a valid visa, you may enrol in a new course at our University on the same visa as long as the new course is at a higher level than the previous course and you agree to submit a new visa application within 6 weeks from the start date of the new course.

Can I use a CAS issued by another University to apply for a Student visa to study at The University of Buckingham?

No. If you need a Student visa and would like to study at The University of Buckingham, you must use a CAS issued by The University of Buckingham to apply for your visa.

I have a Student visa that was issued to study at another University. Can I use it to study at The University of Buckingham?

It will depend on when you applied for your last Student visa.

If you applied for your current Student visa on or after 5 October 2009, you must apply for a new Student visa using a CAS issued by The University of Buckingham before you can register with us.

If you applied for your current Student before 5 October 2009 and this visa is still valid, you must apply to UKVI for permission to change your University before you can register with us.

You must tell the University as soon as your new visa application has been decided (approved or refused) or as soon as you receive permission to change your University and provide evidence to Visa Office.

What happens if UKVI changes its policy before I apply for my visa?

UKVI policy may change at short notice. The University will be required to review its policies accordingly and may need to revise offer conditions in order to sponsor some students for a Student visa. The University will give as much notice as possible of changes.

Can I travel outside of the UK on a student visa?

If you leave the UK, make doubly sure you qualify for re-entry when you return. Information about travelling abroad is available from the UKVI website. You will also need a letter, issued by Registry, confirming your status as a registered student (please give at least one week’s notice).