First Aid Response Course
Who’s this course for?
This course is for members of the public, businesses and professionals who want to learn how to deal with accidents and injuries involving adults and children. It meets the standard of Level 3 HSE First Aid at Work training.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate by the end of the course competence in all of the subject areas listed below;
Administer first aid to a casualty with:
- Injuries to bones, muscles and joints
- Chest injuries
- Burns and scalds
- Eye injuries
- Sudden poisoning
- Anaphylactic shock
- Suspected spinal injuries
- Recognise the presence of major illness and provide appropriate first aid (including heart attack, stroke, epilepsy, asthma, diabetes).
The first aid response course is run by qualified doctors with pre-hospital, work place and hospital experience of emergency medicine and first aid. They are also educators and assessors within the university and thus have up to date knowledge and are actively involved in quality improvement.
All training will take place in dedicated medical premises which holds top of the range equipment.
Course duration and pricing
The First Aid Response Course will have 18 hours contact over 2 days with additional 4 hours online learning which may be done from home. The course will run from 9:00- 1600 with an hour allocated for lunch each day.
£100 per day –First Aid Response Course (2 Days)
By the end of this course, learners will have the appropriate knowledge to know how to:
- Understand first aid regulations.
- Do a primary assessment on a casualty.
- Administer CPR to a casualty.
- Put casualties in the recovery position.
- Deal with and respond to choking, wounds, bleeding and shock.
- Deal with and respond to burns, eye and head injuries, fractures and dislocations.
- Care for people suffering from asthma, allergic reactions, nose bleeds, diabetes, epilepsy, heart attacks and strokes.
- Deal with and respond to hyperventilation, fainting, sprains and strains, poisoning and drowning.
- Understand the importance of record keeping.
Is this training for me?
The First Aid Response Course is suitable for people and businesses who wish to learn new first aid skills or refresh their existing first aid skills. No previous qualifications are needed to take this course as all the basic first aid techniques are covered throughout the training.
Assessment and certification
Successful candidates will receive a continuous in course assessment based on observation skills and understanding of course material leading to a certificate of completion valid for 3 years.
Based on our lead instructor’s experiences in Primary care the initial responses provided by a FARC provider is pivotal in every step of a patient’s journey through the healthcare system. First aid is vital for deciding the ultimate destination for a patient either home with self-care or need to access more medical attention. The ability to provide adequate first aid allows medical professional in all fields to deliver targeted and timely follow up definitive treatments. From this course, the relationship between FARC providers and medical professionals is key and the first step of a community based care method.