BLEU (Buckingham Lean Enterprise Unit)
BLEU members and staff come from a wide variety of backgrounds, disciplines and schools of thought but all share a common philosophy and set of values.
Features of our approach include:
- We define Lean Thinking and Continuous Improvement widely – viewing them as a philosophy rather than a set of tools and methodologies. This philosophy encompasses all key business processes, linking business strategy and goals.
- We consider that Lean and Continuous Improvement is not just a cost reduction tool kits concerned with waste removal but are mainly concerned with enhancing stakeholder value by releasing or creating capacity for growth and the realisation of benefits.
- Whilst we maintain that the definition of lean thinking and CI is wide, we continue to challenge and question its relevance and strive to continually move thinking forward.
- We believe that it is essential to link lean and CI practice with academic theory, so we continue to bring world-class thinkers and practitioners together with academics to challenge thinking and develop new theories.
BLEU Programmes and Short Courses
The Buckingham Lean Enterprise Unit (BLEU) team have been running MSc programmes since 1999 and have built a strong international reputation. The BLEU team is made up of recognised, world-class professionals and all of the programme lecturers possess a combination of academic rigour and real-world battle scars.
Our programmes are specifically designed for practising managers working across all areas of business and range from 1-day courses right up to 2-year part-time master’s level.
The MSc in Lean Enterprise is our flagship programme, launched at the University of Buckingham in 2010, but developed and extended from our team’s 15 years’ experience running the MSc in Lean Operations previously.
The programme is specifically designed for practising managers. The philosophy of the programme is that Lean can only effectively be learned with hands-on practice. Hence, a considerable part of the programme is held on-site at manufacturing and service locations. Participants take part in real exercises (not just case studies) in several organisations in several sectors. The student group is deliberately small to allow both practical hands-on participation and personal interaction with some of the leading practitioners in the UK.
BSc Operational Excellence Online (For organisational groups of 6-25 per cohort)
The Online BSc in Operational Excellence is the only online Bachelor of Science degree in Operations Excellence in the world. It is specifically designed to increase and support the use of Operational Excellence methodologies in the workplace and help businesses and public organisations develop stronger operations and become more competitive. This course has been developed in partnership with Reinvigoration Ltd.
- The online delivery of this in-house programme allows organisations to invest in training for 6-24 employee students per cohort in Operational Excellence alongside their current jobs.
- The programme is delivered through 4 online e-learning modules per year (50%), plus a substantial component of work-based projects (50%)
- The work-based projects are tailored to the specific learning requirements of the organisation. Projects cover an organisational based problem affecting some aspect of the organisation relating to the theoretical aspects of the modules under completion.
- Each year the project develops the learner. Year 1 as a Team Member, Year 2 as a Project Manager and Year 3 as a Project Leader.
- Students study the online e-learning modules at the time most appropriate for them.
- All students must meet the minimum entry criteria of 3 year’s industrial experience and acceptance into the programme is by agreement of the Programme Director.
The Professional Doctorate in Operational Excellence is a unique part-time degree designed to enhance executive / professional education and practice through rigorous research into real and complex issues in contemporary business and management.
Four taught modules are delivered through a series of nine 2.5 day workshops facilitated by internationally renowned researchers and practitioners. This is followed by a doctoral research project of 2+ years.
This programme is aimed at senior business professionals wanting to take their career to the next level. You do not need to have a Master’s qualification to be eligible for this programme, professional experience is taken into account as well as your academic achievements.
Our short courses are run on both an open and bespoke basis, the latter involving tailored courses designed to meet the needs of specific organisations. These will focus on the latest research and thinking to help practitioners better understand and apply the latest lean thinking and CI philosophy, tools and techniques so they can be more effective in their improvement activities to achieve operational excellence.
Please click on the link to download the article.
- John Darlington, “Thinking Allowed Part One: Once upon a Time in Continuous Improvement” (August 2015)
- John Darlington, “Thinking Allowed Part Two: Inactivity Based Costing” (June 2016)
BLEU (Buckingham Lean Enterprise Department)
The Business School
University of Buckingham
Tel: +44 (0)1280 820140 / 814080 (Main Reception).
Join our mailing list
To register your interest in BLEU please complete the form below: