Senior Leader Level 7 ApprenticeshipSchool of Business
Our Senior Leader Apprenticeship is a rigorous programme designed for leaders and managers with busy schedules who would like to develop and enhance their leadership and management skills.
The course is tailored to professionals working full-time and enables you to get an employer-funded master’s level qualification whilst in employment. The course is delivered and assessed over 24 months and covers a wide range of leadership topics, delivered via online interactive weekly sessions. In addition, there will be 4 full-day on-campus workshops throughout the apprenticeship. The course will allow you to engage with the latest thinking on Leadership and Management, and to connect to like-minded peers in the UK and globally.
We are collaborating with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and as such you will have full access to their suite of resources in addition to our library and e-learning resources to support you throughout the course.
The School of Business are collaborating with the Faculty of Education and are pleased to offer the option of contextualised learning for those working within the Education Sector. If you wish to access this fantastic opportunity you will study with the School of Business throughout the course with a planned contextualised learning session at the end of each module to put the teaching into the context of Education
Upon successful completion, there are progression routes to achieve a University of Buckingham MBA degree if you so choose. Successful apprentices will be eligible for a reduced fee.
Who might choose this course?
This course is designed for current and future leaders wanting to enhance their leadership skills, knowledge, and behaviours. Specifically, to name a few this course is aimed at current or future:
Executive directors, Associate directors, Business Unit Heads and Managers, Executive Headteachers, Divisional Heads, HE registrars, Head of Department/Faculty, Warrant Officers, Deputy Headteachers, Head of Years, Bursars etc.
For employers, investing in a Senior Leader apprenticeship can be a valuable means of motivating, retaining, and developing professionals in a competitive recruitment landscape.
Apprentices should normally be working in a management position (minimum 3 years professional experience) with responsibility over people, budgets, or projects – of which studying the programme can input back into an organisation.
- a good undergraduate degree from a recognised UK / overseas institution; or
- an equivalent professional qualification; or
- Minimum 5 years managerial experience, if without a first degree-level/professional qualification
As well as:
- hold English and Maths Level 2 equivalent to GCSE A*-C or 9-4
English & Maths Level 2 are discretionary for entry if not already held; however, both must be completed by gateway of the End Point Assessment.
Professional experience and personal qualities are equally important to us and each application is considered on its individual merit.
To be eligible for Apprenticeship funding, learners must evidence that they:
- are eligible to work in England
- have been ordinarily resident in the EEA, Gibraltar, or the UK for at least the previous three years before the start of the apprenticeship – if this is not the case, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before applying as there are some exceptions to this rule
- be employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week in England
- Cannot be registered on another government funded course at the same time as enrolling on this apprenticeship
Our Senior Leader Apprenticeship is a comprehensive programme designed by academics with real life professional experience across a range of industries and educational settings.
On completion of the programme, you will be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and understanding around the topics below, fully preparing you for the apprenticeship assessment and further progression onto the University of Buckingham MBA routes, if you choose to do so.
- Decision-making and Leadership
- Strategic analysis
- Digital Technology and Disruption
- Interpersonal and people management
- Sustainability and Ethics
- Negotiation and Culture Management
- Financial and managerial accounting analysis
- Personal and Critical Self awareness
- Project Management
- Marketing and Innovation
- Operation and Supply Chain Management
- Risk management
This programme is delivered on-line via interactive teaching sessions scheduled weekly on set days. Depending on the learning outcome of modules being taught teaching sessions will incorporate several teaching methods such as mini-lectures, group discussions, practical exercises to name a few.
A one-day induction and three full days on campus sessions throughout your Apprenticeship have also been incorporated into your schedule. These sessions will include workshops, seminars, networking events, group discussions, guest speakers etc. The face-to-face sessions are designed to further enhance your learning and promote networking opportunities.
You will be allocated a mentor at the start of your apprenticeship journey. Progress is monitored through regular review sessions between you, your employer and mentor. Additionally, between progress review sessions, you will have the opportunity to catch-up with your mentor for regular check–ins.
The apprenticeship standard is assessed at the end of the course typically during the final months via an End Point Assessment. This is completed by an independent organisation, CMI to remove bias and maintain standards; and comprises of:
- Assessment method 1 – Strategic business proposal, presentation with Q&A
- Assessment method 2 – Professional discussion underpinned by a portfolio of evidence
For those who wish to complete either a Postgraduate Diploma or an MBA, successful completion of the Senior Leader Apprenticeship can be followed by the completion of the options below with the School of Business.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration – assignment submission for taught modules at an additional cost of £500 per learner
- MBA – assignments submission and a supervised dissertation over a minimum of 6 months after completion of EPA at an additional cost of £2500 per learner.
The fees for this course are:
|Start||Type||1st Year||Total cost|
Full-time (2 Years)
Apprenticeships are fully funded by the employer through the Apprenticeship Levy. The maximum cost for the Apprenticeship is £14,000; this may be less dependent on your recognised previous learning which will be assessed at interview through a robust initial assessment. There is no cost to the employee undertaking an Apprenticeship.
Your business will be paying the Apprenticeship Levy each month if it:
- has an annual pay bill of more than £3 million
- is connected to any companies or charities for Employment Allowance purposes and has a combined annual pay bill of more than £3 million.
- The Apprenticeship Levy is an amount paid at a rate of 0.5% of an employer’s annual wage bill and will be paid through Pay as you Earn (PAYE)
We welcome employers or individuals to contact us with any questions or by completing the application form below. Where employers may wish to enrol more than one apprentice, please contact Emma Ward (email@example.com).
More information about the Senior Leader apprenticeship can be found here.
The Senior Leader assessment plan can be found here.