The University is still planning to run every course listed on this website and we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
We are closely monitoring the Covid-19 government advice and guidelines. If we are unable to run residential courses, we will start the courses remotely.
This is a new course for September 2020. This is a full Master’s course and so is eligible for a Master’s loan. Our MA in Education (Evidence Based Practice) is an eighteen-month, part-time course for teachers and school leaders to develop expertise in the field of education through critical evaluation of research and scholarship.
The course consists of a module on the latest in evidence based practice, a literature review, which informs a research project to explore an educational issue with a view to improving the candidate’s own professional practice or that of others. The study culminates in a dissertation involving a candidate’s own project in their school or research in a wider field of education.
To take this MA you may only need to spend one day away from your school. The course date in 2021 is Saturday 5 June or as an alternative Saturday 26 June.
What is the point of doing an MA when I have a PGCE or am an experienced teacher?
- Professionals do not stop learning at any stage in their working lives. Doctors and lawyers, for example, have to have regular refresher courses. In the same way, teachers need a framework like an MA within which to learn about recent research in education and be prompted to consider whether they could be even better at what they do.
- Not only will you learn about recent research in education, but you will also learn how to do research yourself.
- Having taken the trouble to gain this qualification will show your employer and future employers that you are a serious, professional employee.
- You will find the course intellectually stimulating.
You are normally expected to come for only one day to the University of Buckingham. On this day you will study:
- Conducting a literature review
- Academic writing of a literature review and critical evaluation
- Research methods
- Project/dissertation planning and design
- Ethics in educational research
If you cannot come to the UK, then we require a minimum of ten trainees who can come together in one city in August or September and the tutor will come to you.
You will submit three essays and a dissertation under the guidance of the university tutor.
Full details in the Curriculum Handbook