This is a full Master’s course and so is eligible for a Postgraduate Master’s loan if you live in the UK (www.gov.uk/masters-loan). It is an eighteen-month, part-time course for teachers and school leaders to develop expertise in the field of education through critical evaluation of research and scholarship.
The course consists of a module on the latest in evidence based practice, a literature review, which informs a research project to explore an educational issue with a view to improving the candidate’s own professional practice or that of others. The study culminates in a dissertation involving a candidate’s own project in their school or research in a wider field of education.
What is the point of doing an MA when I have a PGCE or am an experienced teacher?
- Professionals do not stop learning at any stage in their working lives. Doctors and lawyers, for example, have to have regular refresher courses. In the same way, teachers need a framework like an MA within which to learn about recent research in education and be prompted to consider whether they could be even better at what they do.
- Not only will you learn about recent research in education, but you will also learn how to do research yourself.
- Having taken the trouble to gain this qualification will show your employer and future employers that you are a serious, professional employee.
- You will find the course intellectually stimulating.
- Conducting a literature review
- Academic writing of a literature review and critical evaluation
- Research methods
- Project/dissertation planning and design
- Ethics in educational research
Should I do the MA in Education or the MA in Education (Evidence-based Practice)?
The MA in Education (Evidence-based Practice) is longer and has more of a focus on evidence-based practice. It is 180 credits which means you can get a student loan in England. However, if you have credits you wish to bring with you, then opt for the MA in Education or MA in Residential Education – the topic of focus is up to you (with agreement from us).
If studying online, the online version will include online live meetings with the tutor.
You will submit three essays and a dissertation under the guidance of the university tutor.
Full details in the Curriculum Handbook