BA (Sussex), LLM (Harvard), PhD (Birm), Solicitor (non-practising)
Senior Lecturer in Law, Director of the Part-Time LLB
Graduated from Sussex with a degree in Law and French. He also has an LLM from Harvard and a PhD from Birmingham. Qualified as a solicitor. His area of specialist interest is criminal law, which was the subject of his PhD. He teaches this subject along with Jurisprudence and Introduction to Legal Studies. He is the Director of Buckingham’s Part-time Law degree programme and also Co-editor of the Denning Law Journal.
- James Slater, "HIV, Trust and the Criminal Law"  75 Journal of Criminal Law 309
- James Slater, "Public Goods and Criminalisation"  29 Denning Law Journal 68
- James Slater & bob Watt, “In defence of democracy: The criminalisation of impersonation”, Election Law Journal: Rules, Politics, and Policy, June 2015, 14(2): 165-185
- James Slater, “A short guide to the Anglo-American debate on criminal responsibility”, in J. Motte dit Falisse (ed.), De la faute et du crime: Natures et cultures (Paris: L’Harmattan Criminologie / ICES, 2014), 129-167
- James Slater, "R v Clinton and others"