Student Union President
I finished my undergraduate degree in English Literature with Psychology in December 2019. Having served as SU Vice President in 2019, I am very excited to have been elected to be a sabbatical officer. I intent to honour those votes, and make sure that students feel empowered to thrive both during, and in between, their lectures. I have a multicultural background, having lived in Russia, Germany, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, and the UK.
My experience of serving the Buckingham community also includes the following:
- Student Representative for the Board of Humanities and Social Sciences (2018—2019)
- Vice President and co-founder of the Free Speech Society (2019)
- Co-President of the English Literature Society (2018—19)
- Secretary & co-founder of Buckingham’s first Pride Society (2018—19)
- Vice President of the Psychology Society (2017—18)
- Student Ambassador (2018—2020)
My role as President
- Representing students at Senate and Council; regular liaison with senior staff at the University
- Chairing the full executive committee meetings
- Communicating to students via social media live updates and more formally via ‘students-announce’ emails
- Direct communication with individual students, often signposting them to relevant University departments
- Actioning student feedback directly and feeding it back to the SU and senior staff
- Representing Buckingham students to external bodies, and to the town
- Working with the executive team to approve grant applications and new society applications
- Serving as Student Happiness Champion
- Ensure an effective transition to a new SU constitution, where the Union will have independence over its financial decisions.
- Effective representation and advocacy of the Students’ Union and students.
- Ensure that students feel connected to the SU and have a direct line of contact to their elected officers.