Name of Programme
BSc (Hons) Business Economics
Final Award
BSc (Econ) (Hons)
Location
Buckingham
Awarding Institution/Body
University Of Buckingham
Teaching Institution
University Of Buckingham
School of Study
School of Humanities and Social Sciences [Economics and International Studies]
Programme Code(s)
UBEF9SBE / Full Time / 2 Years and 1 Term
UBEF2SBE / Full Time / 2 Years
Professional Body Accreditation
Relevant Subject Benchmark Statement (SBS)
QAA SBS: Economics (2015)
Admission Criteria
A-level: BBB-BCC (or equivalent)
IB: 32-30 (or equivalent)
National Diploma: DMM
UCAS tariff: 112
Applicable Cohort(s)
2014
FHEQ Level
FHEQ Level 6
UCAS Code
L112
Summary of Programme
If you have made up your mind that you wish to pursue a business career, or if you want to work as a consultant or as a specialist business economist in the private sector, this programme offers the spread of subjects that is likely to be most useful. It enables you to supplement the basic economics modules with modules from the Department of Management thus providing a rounded view of business activities.
Educational Aims of the Programme
The educational aims of the Business Economics programme are similar to those of the Economics programme. The Business element in the degree indicates that there is a greater emphasis on the more strictly business aspects of Economics, including providing students with the knowledge and understanding of the key areas of business and management; the relationships between them and their application in practice. The Business element also will enable students to appreciate the uncertainties and complexities of business organisations, their environments and management. Nevertheless, we aim to give all Business Economics students a thorough knowledge of Economic analysis, which we consider provides a valuable grounding for Business subjects. Students can also choose some of the more conventional Economics subjects as electives if their interests develop in that direction.
Programme Outcomes

Knowledge and Understanding

The main focus remains on Economics, but in various ways we attempt to equip students for a business environment, through emphasising the application of Economics to business affairs.

(For the Business stream) knowledge and understanding of organisations, their business environment and the management of these organisations,
(For the Business stream) an understanding of the uncertainties and complexities of business organisation, their environments and management.

Teaching/Learning Strategy

Lectures and small group seminars, plus interaction and dialogue with students on a one to one basis. Students are mainly examined by written examination, but in most courses there is an essay requirement of about 10-20% of the total. In addition, most courses require additional essays that are not part of the assessed marks.

These skills cannot, we believe, be communicated directly. They are acquired as part of the general learning process. Of particular importance is extensive reading, which we encourage, and dialogue and interaction between students and staff. We consider that interaction between staff and students is essential in an effective degree programme.

In addition, students are encouraged to acquire a broad knowledge of business affairs. We direct students to keep up with general business news in the broadsheets, Financial Times, the Economist, and Business Week and so on.

For the Business modules, the Core knowledge and understanding is acquired through formal/interactive lectures, tutorials, seminars, as well as group activities (presentations, role plays, simulations) and guided independent or group study.

Assessment Strategy

The majority of courses are assessed by 3 hour written examinations at the end of the course. In addition there is usually course work, mainly written essays.

Students are expected to attend lectures and tutorials, although such attendance is not made part of the assessment. Typically, the final examination comprises 80-90% of total marks, while the essay makes up the remaining 10%-20%.

As Economics, but group projects are assessed in various ways, including the direct assessment of project work, and the measurement of individual contributions by asking team members to place their own assessment of other members of the team.

Problem solving sheets in tutorials. Some examinations emphasise problem solving skills.

For the Business stream, the assessment methods are diverse and could include ( but is not limited to) written assignments, presentations, role plays, simulations, posters, learning journals, practicals such as business pitch etc.
Programme Outcomes

Cognitive Skills

(a) Perception – particular emphasis on business aspects of Economics.

(b) Intuition – again we emphasise ‘economic awareness’, with particular reference to business. Students should become conscious of Business as self interested activity and learn to perceive how the interests of different parties are at variance. They should intuitively think in terms of costs and benefits; of probability and the management of risk.

(c) Reasoning. Students on this programme should learn to reason as Economists; in other words they should attempt to simplify business and economic questions to their essentials, and attempt to illuminate the relationship between the parts of the situation.

(For the business stream) – The above cognitive skills are also relevant, but in addition, students will be able to demonstrate business acumen, be entrepreneurial and acquire numeracy skills relevant to data-based decision making.

Teaching/Learning Strategy

Learning and teaching strategies used to enable outcomes to be achieved and demonstrated: lectures and tutorials. Some courses involve the use of computer simulations and others involve presentations.

For the business stream, Cognitive skills are acquired through formal/interactive lectures, tutorials, seminars, as well as group activities (for example presentations, role plays, simulations, and project) and guided independent or group study. Guided discussions within these strategies will facilitate the development of cognitive skills.

Assessment Strategy

The majority of courses are assessed by 3 hour written examinations at the end of the course. In addition there is usually course work, mainly written essays.

Students are expected to attend lectures and tutorials, although such attendance is not made part of the assessment. Typically, the final examination comprises 80-90% of total marks, while the essay makes up the remaining 10%-20%.

As Economics, but group projects are assessed in various ways, including the direct assessment of project work, and the measurement of individual contributions by asking team members to place their own assessment of other members of the team.

Problem solving sheets in tutorials. Some examinations emphasise problem solving skills.

(For the business stream) Similar to assessment strategy for Knowledge and Understanding.
Programme Outcomes

Practical/Transferable Skills

As with the Economics programme, students of Business Economics are required to defend an intellectual position in a tutorial context. In many Business courses the ability to work on group projects is stressed. The development of interpersonal skills is of particular relevance here. Such skills will readily transpose into the business situation.
As on the Economics programme, we encourage clarity in the presentation of argument; numerical and quantitative skills of the type required in business. We require a degree of computer competence, which is taught in the first two terms of the student’s time at Buckingham. Business students are encouraged to increase the knowledge of foreign languages as these may be useful in their future business lives. We do not, however, make this a requirement of the degree programme, as we once did. The change in policy has been due to the additional strain that language requirements can place on students whose native language is not English.

(For the Business stream) – this includes the above applied to a business setting, but, in addition, students will be able to demonstrate IT competence and digital literacy, emotional intelligence and empathy , data-based decision-making skills and people management skills.

Teaching/Learning Strategy

Learning & teaching strategies used to enable outcomes to be achieved and demonstrated: The use of computers; submission of coursework; preparatory reading for tutorials

Assessment Strategy

The majority of courses are assessed by 3 hour written examinations at the end of the course. In addition there is usually course work, mainly written essays.

Students are expected to attend lectures and tutorials, although such attendance is not made part of the assessment. Typically, the final examination comprises 80-90% of total marks, while the essay makes up the remaining 10%-20%.

As Economics, but group projects are assessed in various ways, including the direct assessment of project work, and the measurement of individual contributions by asking team members to place their own assessment of other members of the team.

Problem solving sheets in tutorials. Some examinations emphasise problem solving skills.

For the Business stream – this would be included as part of the assessment strategies mentioned earlier in this document.
External Reference Points
• Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (Link);
• Relevant Subject Benchmark Statement(s) (Link);
• Other (list)
Please note: This specification provides a concise summary of the main features of the programme and the learning outcomes that a typical student might reasonably be expected to achieve and demonstrate if he/she takes full advantage of the learning opportunities that are provided. More detailed information on the learning outcomes, content and teaching, learning and assessment methods of each course unit/module can be found in the departmental or programme handbook. The accuracy of the information contained in this document is reviewed annually by the University of Buckingham and may be checked by the Quality Assurance Agency.
Date of Production
Revised Summer 2022
Date approved by School Learning and Teaching Committee
Revised Summer 2022
Date approved by School Board of Study
Revised Summer 2022
Date approved by University Learning and Teaching Committee
Date of Annual Review

 

PROGRAMME STRUCTURES

BSc (Hons) Business Economics

UBEF2SBE / Full Time / January Entry
Term 1
Winter
Principles of Microeconomics [L4/15U] (HUFPMIC)
Quantitative Methods 1 [L4/15U] (BUFQUM1)
Understanding Business and Management with Embedded Academic Skills [L4/30U] (BUFUNBM)
Term 2
Spring
Principles of Macroeconomics [L4/15U] (HUFPMAC)
Quantitative Methods 2 [L5/15U] (BUFQUM2)
Marketing Fundamentals [L4/15U] (BUFMFUN)
Preliminary 1 Examination
Term 3
Summer
Microeconomic Theory [L5/15U] (HUFMICT)
Macroeconomic Theory [L5/15U] (HUFMACT)
Marketing Management [L5/15U] (BUFMKMT)
Term 4
Autumn
Microeconomic Policy [L5/15U] (HUFMICP)
Macroeconomic Policy [L5/15U] (HUFMACP)
Sustainable Operations [L5/15U] (BUFSOPS)
Part 1 Examination
Term 5
Winter
Industrial Organisation and Strategy [L6/15U] (HUFIOAS)
One of:
Psychology of Work [L6/15U]
Managing People and Change [L6/15U]
Finance for Managers [L6/15U] (FBHSSBUSECONXX3)
History of Economic Thought [L6/15U] (HUFHOET)
Term 6
Spring
Two of:
Economics of the Labour market [L6/15U]
Issues in Developing Economies and the MENA region [L6/15U]
Welfare Economics [L6/15U] (FBHSSBUSECONXX1)
Corporate Strategy and Strategic Management [L6/15U] (BUFCSSM)
Part 2 Stage 1 Examination
Term 7
Summer
Mathematics for Economists [L5/15U] (HUFMATE)
One of:
Behavioural Economics [L6/15U]
Money, Banking and Financial Markets [L6/15U] (FBHSSBUSECONXX2)
Business Simulation [L6/15U] (BUFBUSI)
Term 8
Autumn
Dissertation (Business Economics ) [L6/15U] (HUFDIBE)
International Economics [L6/15U] (HUFIECN)
One of:
Cross-cultural Management [L5/15U]
Globalisation and International Business [L5/15U] (BUECXXXX42)
Part 2 Stage 2 Examination


Note: A dissertation on an approved topic may be substituted for a written examination in ONE Part 2 elective with the approval of the lecturer concerned and the Head of Department.

 

BSc (Hons) Business Economics

UBEF9SBE / Full Time / September Entry
Term 1
Autumn
Principles of Macroeconomics [L4/15U] (HUFPMAC)
Quantitative Methods 1 [L4/15U] (BUFQUM1)
Preliminary 1 Examination
Term 2
Winter
Principles of Microeconomics [L4/15U] (HUFPMIC)
Understanding Business and Management with Embedded Academic Skills [L4/30U] (BUFUNBM)
Term 3
Spring
Marketing Fundamentals [L4/15U] (BUFMFUN)
Quantitative Methods 2 [L5/15U] (BUFQUM2)
Preliminary 2 Examination
Term 4
Summer
Microeconomic Theory [L5/15U] (HUFMICT)
Macroeconomic Theory [L5/15U] (HUFMACT)
Marketing Management [L5/15U] (BUFMKMT)
Term 5
Autumn
Microeconomic Policy [L5/15U] (HUFMICP)
Macroeconomic Policy [L5/15U] (HUFMACP)
Sustainable Operations [L5/15U] (BUFSOPS)
Part 1 Examination
Term 6
Winter
Industrial Organisation and Strategy [L6/15U] (HUFIOAS)
One of:
Psychology of Work [L6/15U]
Managing People and Change [L6/15U]
Finance for Managers [L6/15U] (FBHSSBUSECONXX3)
History of Economic Thought [L6/15U] (HUFHOET)
Term 7
Spring
Two of:
Economics of the Labour market [L6/15U]
Issues in Developing Economies and the MENA region [L6/15U]
Welfare Economics [L6/15U] (FBHSSBUSECONXX1)
Corporate Strategy and Strategic Management [L6/15U] (BUFCSSM)
Part 2 Stage 1 Examination
Term 8
Summer
Mathematics for Economists [L5/15U] (HUFMATE)
Money, Banking and Financial Markets [L6/15U] (HUFMBFM)
Behaviour in Organisations [L5/15U] (BUFBEHO)
Term 9
Autumn
Statistics for Business & Economics [L6/15U] (BUFSFBE)
International Economics [L6/15U] (HUFIECN)
One of:
Cross-cultural Management [L5/15U]
Globalisation and International Business [L5/15U] (BUECXXXX42)
Part 2 Stage 2 Examination


.