Useful sites for business, humanities, law, science & general reference
A few of the more popular search engines
UK national information, government, travel information,
A selection of websites for business and economics
Includes UK eLib projects
A selection of useful sites
Websites for Applied Computing, Medicine and Psychology
Links to other libraries and eLib
Gateway to other universities
Links to open access resources
Resources for Education students
|Security and Intelligence Studies
Resources for BUCSIS students
|A9||Search engine with related websites to your search, plus history and bookmark function.|
|AllSearchEngines||Simultaneous searching of the six best UK specific search engines.|
|AltaVista||Alta Vista has advanced search facility. Searches the Web and Usenet.|
|Ask Jeeves||Ask a question and Ask Jeeves will try and answer it.|
|Formerly MSN Search. Has a quick link to worldwide search sites, e.g. Canada, France, Germany, UK & US.|
|DuckDuckGo||The search engine that does not track you.|
|A fast & effective search engine, using PageRank as a relevance ranking method. See the site for further details.|
|Google Book Search||Google book search from publishers and libraries.|
|Google Scholar||Full-text indexing of academic materials.|
|Ixquick||Metasearch engine. Searches several search engines at once. Also search news, MP3 or pictures only.|
|RefDesk||A whole host of different reference resources on one site.|
|A website on the effective use of search engines.|
|Webcrawler||Rates and reviews websites. Subject search.|
|Yahoo||Subject search or search across all of the categories together. Worldwide.|
|Yahoo – UK & Ireland||Subject search – UK & Ireland.|
|Zanran||Search engine for data and statistics. Finds semi-structured data such as numerical data presented as graphs, tables and charts on the Web.|
|Bartleby.com||“Great books online” under categories: Reference, Verse, Fiction & Nonfiction.|
|Online learning, support and advice.|
BBC sites, including news, weather, World Service and education.
|Big Foot||An email and telephone directory.|
|Biographical Dictionary||Contains over 28,000 entries.|
|British Library Net||Easy access to a wide range of information resources, including online catalogues, libraries, museums, art collections, global news, journals, etc. Registration is required but it is free.|
BT telephone directory (follow links to Phone Book).
|Buckinghamshire Online Library||Online information and subscription services for members of Buckinghamshire public libraries.|
|Bucks County Council||Local community information and links. Travel information.|
|Enter a word to find its meaning in five dictionaries.|
|The UK‘s reproduction rights organisation.|
|Currency Converter||Dollars to Pounds, Euros to Yen – it’s all here!|
|Economist Country Briefings||Source of country information.|
|ESRC Society Now (formerly Regard)||Information on research projects funded by the Economic and Social Research Council.|
|Links for embassies and visa information.|
|Europa||The European Union website.|
|Europeana||Cultural heritage portal: explore the digital resources of Europe’s galleries, museums, libraries, archives and audiovisual collections.|
|Electronic yellow pages.|
|Free Pint||Rankings of Business Schools, etc.|
|GOV.UK||Straight through to public services|
|Hobsons||Guide to information on careers and courses.|
|How far is it?||Distance calculator between cities, worldwide coverage.|
|Lists over 25,000 chartered accountant firms worldwide.|
|Intute||A major academic gateway to high-quality websites evolved from RDN (Research Discovery Network).|
|Librarian’s Index to the Internet||A guide to described and evaluated internet resources.|
|The official website for Milton Keynes and North Bucks.|
|National Rail Enquiries||Rail travel information.|
|National Statistics Online||
UK official statistics reflecting Britain’s economy, population & society.
|Palgrave Study Skills||Resources from Palgrave with practical advice to help you study effectively.|
|Pinakes Subject Launchpad||The gateway to subject gateways.|
test your understanding
|Short online test from the University of Essex showing what is meant by plagiarism.|
|Postcodes Online||You can make 20 searches in a 24-hour period but you need to register first. Registration is free.|
|Roget’s Thesaurus||Roget’s II: the new thesaurus. 3rd ed. Contains 35,000 synonyms and over 250,000 cross-references.|
|Royal Mail||The website for information on Royal Mail services, including postal rates, postcodes, etc.|
|Successful research on the Web||Training courses available both within the University and externally run with PResS.|
|Website of The Stationery Office.|
|Wayback Machine||An internet archive of more than a billion pages.|
|Web Archive||British Library UK web archive|
|World Clock||Displays local time in key locations worldwide.|
|World Factbook||A country information reference source supplied by the US Central Intelligence Agency.|
|World InfoZone||An international educational resource providing referenced information on country studies, business, history, religion, literature, music, art, sport and news.|
|WWW Virtual Library||Good quality guide to sections of the web with key links.|
|This site contains the BBC listings information which the BBC printed in Radio Times between 1923 and 2009. Use the Genome search function to find thousands of radio and TV programmes that are available to view or listen to on the BBC website.|
|A directory of online research resources in the humanities and social sciences.|
|Brings to life the social, political and cultural context in which key works of literature were written. Enjoy digitised treasures from the BL collection, newly commissioned articles and short documentary films|
|CAIN||Conflict Archive on the INternet: the Northern Ireland conflict.|
|Documentary Heaven||A database of free documentaries covering a wide range of subjects.|
|Famous Quotes and Authors||Online quotation dictionary.|
|Historical Association||Website of the Historical Association, with a ‘Members Only’ section.|
|HISTORY||Institute of Historical Research information gateway.|
|Hold the Front Page||News, jobs and resources for UK journalists.|
|Independent Voices||A digital collection of alternative press newspapers, magazines and journals, drawn from the special collections of participating libraries.|
|Free access to the full texts of thousands of documents relating to the politics of the last quarter of a century.|
|News Media Association||Promotes the shared interests of national, regional and local news media publishers in the UK.|
|Gateway to significant sources relevant to political science, maintained by Richard Kimber.|
Resource for Urban Development International
|Ultimate Shakespeare Resource Guide||Whether you’re searching for inspiration, working on a research project, or just want to know what gave The Bard of Avon his incredible staying power, read on for some of the best Shakespeare resources on the Web.|
|AccessToLaw||Legal Resources selected and annotated by Inner Temple Library.|
|AIRE Centre||A database that monitors, reports and comments on developments at the ECHR and domestically in Family Law cases.|
|British and Irish Legal Information Institute website.|
|Citing the law||How to cite primary and secondary sources of law|
|Electronic Information System for International Law.|
|Europa External Trade.|
|EU Justis daily bulletins||Daily bulletins on EU legislation.|
|Eur-Lex||Portal to European Union law.|
|European Law Monitor||Information about proposed EU legislation.|
|FLAG – Foreign Law Guide||Gateway to the holdings of foreign, international and comparative law in UK universities / national libraries.|
|Flare Index to Treaties||Web index to 1500 multilateral treaties.|
|HUDOC||European Court of Human Rights database of ECHR case law.|
|Incorporated Council of Law Reporting||Free daily source of reportable case summaries.|
|Infolaw||Gateway to UK legal information.|
UK intellectual property website.
|International Court of Justice||Useful for International Law.|
|Law Commission||Law Commission recent publications, and law under review.|
|Lawbore||Covers legal subjects and gives the top Web links, articles and cases, some of which need Athens authentication.|
|Lawcrawler||Legal search engine.|
|Lawlinks||Legal information on the Internet.|
|Legal abbreviations online||Cardiff index to legal abbreviations online.|
|Legalease||Access to the Legal 500 series, Courts & agency directory, Legal experts directory, International legal news, Student law centre, etc.|
|Legislation (Official UK site)||UK legislation in original and revised versions.|
|Monitoring the decision-making process in the EU||A site that monitors the process of decisions between European Commission and other institutions.|
|MootingNet||A Web resource for mooters in England and Wales.|
|OSCOLA||The Oxford University Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities.|
|Parliament||Includes recent bills and legislation.|
|Solicitors Online||Information about law firms and solicitors in England and Wales.|
|Sweet & Maxwell||Publisher website with useful links and academic section.|
|UN||Useful for International Law.|
|UN Treaty Collections||Includes the UN Treaty Series, etc. (Free to students and academic researchers. Request a username and password from email@example.com )|
|United States Trade||US trade representative.|
|World Trade Law site||A database of all GATT and WTO cases.|
|World Trade Organization||Dispute settlement rulings by country.|
|WorldWideScience||Worldwide Science gateway|
|Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)||The world’s largest educational and scientific computing society.|
|British Computer Society (BCS)||The Chartered Institute for IT.|
|CiteSeerX||Digital library and search engine mainly for computer and information science.|
|CoRR, Computing Research Repository||An online repository of academic papers.|
|Data Mining||Useful website for data mining.|
|FOLDOC||Free online dictionary of computing and miscellaneous links which includes useful reference section.|
|Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA)||Learned and professional UK society.|
|Java||The source for Java technology.|
|NIST Digital Library of Mathematical Functions||A free electronic version of the NIST Handbook of Mathematical Functions.|
|Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)||Builds co-operation between mathematics and the worlds of science and technology.|
|Virtual Training Suite for Computer Science and Informatics||Developing Internet research skills.|
|For medical resources please visit the Library section on Moodle|
|Association for Psychological Science||Association for Psychological Science with psychology links.|
|British Psychological Society||British Psychological Society.|
|Perception journal||Perception journal online.|
|Psychology (British Academy)||The British Academy’s directory of online resources.|
|PsychNet- UK||A website for mental health professionals.|
|PubPsych||Open access search portal to psychology information.|
|Virtual Training Suite||Internet psychology tutorial to practise your skills (select Psychology)|
- British Library. Website of UK’s national library.
- British Library Public Catalogue. Free online access to over 10 million records of items in the British Library. Also available through COPAC.
- COPAC. A national Online Public Access Catalogue, providing unified access to the online catalogues of some of the largest university research libraries in the UK and Ireland. Includes access to the British Library Public Catalogue.
- eLib. The Electronic Libraries Programme, funded by the Joint Information Systems Committee.
- ETHOS. Electronic Theses Online Service opening access to UK theses.
- European Library. Online portal to access the collections of the 48 National Libraries of Europe and leading European Research Libraries
- find it! A guide to Library collections in England.
- Google Book Search. Google book search from publishers and libraries.
- ICAEW Library and Information Service. Website of the library of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales.
- Index to theses database from 1970 onwards, contains titles and abstracts of theses accepted by universities of GB and Ireland.
- Library of Congress Online Catalog – and other specialised catalogues.
- London Library. A subscription library with an extensive collection of books and periodicals in the arts and humanities.
- Sherpa. Electronic access to academic research held in institutional repositories.
- UK sensitivity maps. The University of Wolverhampton – gateway to UK universities, colleges and research sites.
- Creative Commons. A useful resource for open access images and other works.
- DOAJ. Directory of Open Access Journals – covers free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals.
- OpenDOAR. An authoritative directory of academic open access repositories.
- OAIster. A collection of previously difficult-to-access, academically-orientated digital resources, a project of the University of Michigan Digital Library Production Service.
- PubMed. Citations for biomedical literature.
- BFI Inview. British history in film.
- EU Screen. Free online access to videos, stills, texts and audio from European broadcasters and audiovisual archives. Explore selected content from early 1900 until today. Aims to offer a single point of access to over 30,000 items of programme content and complementary contextual information through one freely accessible online portal. Funded by the European Commission within the eContentplus programme project. The consortium is made up of 28 partners and 9 associate partners from 20 European countries UK partners include the BBC. This includes documentary, entertainment, new broadcast clips.
- Public information films from the National Archives. Free access to a collection of 20th Century UK government films.
- FedFlix. Collaboration between the National Technical Information Service and Public.Resource.Org. Provides free access to historic films from the American government.
- TED. Ideas worth spreading: inspirational talks from world leaders in politics, information technology and academic fields. Good coverage of business, science and world issues
- FORA.tv. The leading site for engaging video programmes from conferences, summits, public forums, university debates and think tanks across the globe
- Archival Sound Recordings.12,000 selected recordings of music, spoken word and human and natural environments.
- Poetry Archive.Online collection of recordings of poets reading their work.
- Education in Video. Online collection of streaming video developed specifically for training and developing teachers.
- ERIC. The Education Resources Information Center, the world’s premier database of journal and non-journal education literature.
- National Foundation for Educational Research. Website of the National Foundation for Educational Research.
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Chatham House
- Council on Foreign Relations
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- FAS Intelligence Resource Program
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- International Intelligence History Association
- Loyola homepage on Strategic Intelligence
- MI5 The Security Service
- National Crime Agency
- National Security Agency
- National Security Archive
- Russian and Soviet Intelligence Agencies (on FAS website)
- RUSI (Royal United Services Institute)
- SIS – Secret Intelligence Service MI6
- US Intelligence Community careers