Part-Time Work for Students
This page contains information for students who want to do part-time paid work while studying at Buckingham. Regardless of Visa constraints, University regulations state that no student can work more than 20 hours per week during term time, as any more will have a large impact on your studies.
Condition to work as a Tier 4 student visa holder varies according to your visa application date. Details are available on the UKBA website:
University regulations state that students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time and unlimited hours during vacation. This also applies to internships and work placements.
You should apply for a NI number if you have started or about to start work. For these applications you should telephone +44 (0)845 600 0643 between 08:00 and 20:00, Monday to Friday, to make an appointment. For more information, see: www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/number.htm.
You may need to bring the following documents to your appointment:
- National identity card
- Birth certificate
- Full driving licence
- Home Office documents
- 2 or more passports if you are of dual- or multi-nationality
- Student loan documents
- Student identity card
- Letter L1ANI from Registry
- A letter from your employer
- Your contract of employment
- Details of any employment agencies you are registered with.
- Evidence that you are actively looking for work
- It takes on average 4-6 weeks for the letter to arrive with the National Insurance Number.
- In theory an employer cannot refuse to employ or interview you because you do not have a National Insurance Number.
- The employer issues you with a temporary National Insurance Number for tax purposes.
Places to try:
- Petrol filling stations (Tesco, Esso, Shell, BP)
- White Hart Hotel
- Villiers Hotel
- Buckingham Hotel
- Sainsbury’s Local
- Pets at Home
Places to look:
- Buckingham & Winslow Advertiser (local paper)
- Citizen (Milton Keynes local paper)
- MK News (Milton Keynes free paper)
- www.frontierfm.com Tel: +44 (0)1295 255598
- www.dailyinfo.co.uk Oxford Area
- www.lgjobs.com Part-time jobs in Local Government
- www.dlcollect.co.uk Tel: +44 (0)1280 707954
- www.officeteamuk.com Tel: +44 (0)1908 201420
The Careers Service website has details of all part-time opportunities, this is updated weekly.
If don’t have a National Insurance number please ask for our separate handout available from our office based in the Library in Verney Park.
If you require any further information on the above please call in and see us in the Careers Service Office, Franciscan Library, Verney Park.
Direct Line: +44 (0)1280 828218 / 828217 / 828221