What is the NASENCO course?
In September 2009 it became law for every new SENCO in a mainstream school to gain the National Award for SEN Coordination (NASENCO) within 3 years of taking up the post. This course is designed around the Learning Outcomes for SENCOs, specified by the Department for Education, and aims to develop expertise in the leadership of SEND in schools.
SENCOs on this course will have access to a fully online, high-quality and interactive programme delivered by SEND experts and specialists. They will learn how to integrate theory and practice to support the development of their role and in turn, learn how to improve positive outcomes for pupils with SEND.
Why complete the NASENCO with the University of Buckingham?
- Our course is fully online, making is accessible for all new and aspiring SENCOs regardless of location.
- This is a work based, flexible and practical programme carefully crafted to support new and aspiring SENCOs into developing critical, reflective and effective practices in their role.
- We advocate inclusive practice and support SENCOs in using critical reflection, research and tasks to improve provision and outcomes for vulnerable pupils.
- SENCOs will develop a deep understanding of the SEN Code of Practice and other recent policy, guidance and research and understand how to utilise this to improve SEND provision.
- SENCOs will be taught and supported by a highly-skilled course leader and tutor who are experts in SEND provision.
- Four high-quality training days allow personalised learning and support from leading experts in SEND.
- SENCOs who successfully complete 60 Level 7 credits achieve a PGCert in Supporting SEND Through Inclusive Practice and may carry 60 credits towards future study at Master’s level.
- Build a professional network of other new and aspiring SENCOs.
SENCOs are required to attend 4 training days which will be delivered online and will cover the following topics:
- Induction to the NASENCo Course – SENCOs will be guided through the course structure, design, expectations and outcomes.
- Developing Context for Inclusive Education – SENCOs will demonstrate their professional knowledge and understanding in the legislative context for SEN and will link as evidence application of theoretical concepts that underpin effective leadership and practice
- The SENCO as an Inclusive Leader– SENCOs will be required to demonstrate understanding and reflect on their expertise and capabilities needed to lead and coordinate provision effectively.
- The Critical Professional SENCO: Life & Career of a SENCO – SENCOs will be required to reflect on the personal and professional qualities needed to make a positive impact on the ethos and culture in schools and other settings.
Mode of delivery
- A work-based, flexible and practical programme.
- Attendance at online training for 4 days over an academic year.
- Delivered through a combination of seminars and tutorials with input from SEND experts.
- Self-managed, work-based guided tasks in relation to effectiveness in the role of SENCO.
- Termly, online support from a SENCO tutor.
- Self-supported study, assessments at Master’s level and professional reviews.
- Distance learning supported by online resources via e-portfolio.
Trainees will meet virtually with their SENCO tutor termly and engage in weekly reflective tasks to support understanding and application of the most effective and inclusive practice as a SENCO, all matched to the SENCO Learning Outcomes.
SENCOs will complete:
- A reflective essay
- Design, implementation and write up of an Action Research Project
- Completion of a Professional SEND Development Portfolio (E-Portfolio) where the focus is on the student to reflect on their own practice within their education institution in order to have met the SENCO learning outcomes
For a full programme specification and module breakdown please email email@example.com
‘I have learned so much by studying for the NASENCO award at The University of Buckingham. The structure and content of the course have helped me to be a more effective and well informed SENCO.’
‘The course focuses on guided tasks and evidencing the SENCO Learning Outcomes have made me much better at making decisions – both as a leader and as a teacher, benefiting both students and staff.’
‘Because of this NASENCO Course, I am meeting needs much better and supporting colleagues more effectively.’
The training days are well structured and I really like the guidance and time to discuss with other SENCOs’
‘What really works well on the course is having access to supportive contact from the Course Lead and Tutor’