Our MA in Education is a one year, part-time course for teachers and school leaders to develop expertise in the field of education through critical evaluation of research and scholarship. The course builds on learning from a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
The course consists of a literature review, which informs a research project to explore an educational issue with a view to improving the candidate’s own professional practice or that of others. The study culminates in a dissertation involving a candidate’s own project in their school or research in a wider field of education.
To take this MA you only need to spend one day away from your school. The course date in 2020 is Saturday 4 July or as an alternative Monday 27 July. Although this day is not compulsory, we do strongly encourage you to attend as it contains important course information.
What is the point of doing an MA when I have a PGCE or am an experienced teacher?
- Professionals do not stop learning at any stage in their working lives. Doctors and lawyers, for example, have to have regular refresher courses. In the same way, teachers need a framework like an MA within which to learn about recent research in education and be prompted to consider whether they could be even better at what they do.
- Not only will you learn about recent research in education, but you will also learn how to do research yourself.
- Having taken the trouble to gain this qualification will show your employer and future employers that you are a serious, professional employee.
- You will find the course intellectually stimulating.
You are normally expected to come for only one day to the University of Buckingham. On this day you will study:
- Conducting a literature review
- Academic writing of a literature review and critical evaluation
- Research methods
- Project/dissertation planning and design
- Ethics in educational research
If you cannot come to the UK then we require a minimum of ten trainees who can come together in one city in August or September and the tutor will come to you.
You will submit three essays and a dissertation under the guidance of the university tutor.
Full details in the Curriculum Handbook