The Ab Initio course is a one-day, online training course in late August for teachers who start their teaching careers in September. This day is to ensure new teachers who are about to deliver lessons for the first time can do so with confidence. The day provides all attendees with an overview of what you need to know starting out in teaching with take-away materials to help you through the first weeks as you gain confidence. The day will be filled with practical strategies that can be implemented straight away with classes of all ages.
The course is best described as ‘pre-season training’ and is recommended for PGCE trainees who have not taught before, as well as any new teachers in independent and state schools. It is NOT for those who have taught before.
A teacher’s first half-term with sole responsibility for classes and their pupils’ progress is demanding and this course enables teachers to effectively prepare with confidence for the challenges and workload ahead.
Surviving the first week
- What do you need to know about your school?
- Getting to know your classes and timetable
- Safeguarding & Behaviour Management 101
How do you make sure they are learning something?
- Planning & Teaching lessons
- What do you need to know about assessment?
- Are they all making progress?
The first half of term
- Managing your workload and your stress levels
- Dealing with different people
- Useful tips for exciting lessons and avoiding pitfall
Trainees applying for a place on a University of Buckingham PGCE will be able to apply for the Ab Initio course on the PGCE application form.
Apply by: 24 July 2023