Professor O’Hear is Director of the Royal Institute of Philosophy, editor of the journal Philosophy, author of many books on the subject, and was formerly Government Advisor on Education and Teacher Training. He is a philosopher with a special interest in education. His areas of expertise are:
- Most areas of philosophy but especially philosophy of science, philosophy of religion, aesthetics and culture, political philosophy and ethics (including medical ethics).
- Educational philosophy and practice; the curriculum; moral and religious education; education and politics.
His publications include:
- Plato’s Children. Gordon Square, 2005.
- Philosophy in the New Century . Continuum, 2001.
- After Progress . Bloomsbury, 1999.
- Beyond Evolution: human nature and the limits of evolutionary explanation. Clarendon Press, 1997.
- Introduction to the Philosophy of Science. Oxford University Press, 1989.
- The Element of Fire: science, art and the human world. Routledge, 1988.
- Karl Popper . Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1980
- Professor O’Hear has also been editor of the journal Philosophy since 1995
- Natasha O’Hear & Anthony O’Hear, Picturing the Apocalypse: The Book of Revelation in the Arts over Two Millennia (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015)
- Anthony O'Hear & Marc Sidwell (eds), The School of Freedom